Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I worry that my kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

don't eat enough. A little back story, we just moved out of my parents house, we're on food stamps, we don't have a kitchen table and when we get our tax return we will be buying a kitchen table. Now to get to my point. I feel like my kids will not sit at their kids table and eat and that I have to yell at them to eat. I often dish up their food on my plate and let them eat all of it because you know kids want everything you have but not what you give them even though it's the same food. My daughter actually ate grilled cheese sandwiches tonight (her first sandwich, she's almost 3 and will eat the ingredients separate but doesn't like sandwiches) but then she wouldn't fall asleep and came out and wanted some of my food but she had already brushed her teeth and I feel that it was a stall tactic. I'm hoping that after we get a table we can sit and eat together and I will have them bucked into their booster seats and they won't run all over playing when they should be eating. Now that brings me to, at what age do your kids not get buckled into their booster seat? And then there is that fine line because I don't want my kids to be overweight (I am) and I was taught to finish your food but I want my kids to stop eating when they feel full because that's a healthier way to do it. (Silly little problem but it's what I'm going through right now.)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:28 AM

It's not a silly question. It seems like you've gone the wrong direction in teaching them meal time manners. I think it's really important to teach them to sit still in their chair and not get up until they're done. When they're done is up to you. I don't make my kids finish everything on their plate if they're obviously full, but if they try to eat 3 bites and tell me they're full, I tell them "No, you need to eat at least half of what's on your plate.". I also give my kids relatively small portions. Most people these days over feed their kids. They don't realize how small kids' stomachs are and try to give them small adult sized portions.

First of all, your kids need their own plates of food, not to eat off of yours. Second of all, they need to be made to sit down and not get up until meal time is over. If that means that you don't eat until they're done because you're actively standing there making them sit down, then so be it. Thirdly, I buckled my kids until I felt like they were to the point where they could sit in their booster (or chair) and not try to get up continuously. And fourth, don't make foods just because it's something they'll like and you know they'll eat it. My kids eat what is given to them no matter what and they know that. If I'm making spinach, they will eat it whether they want to or not. Kids have to be made to do things sometimes that they don't want to do. It's your job as their mom to make them do those things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Wow. That's a lot. Hopefully I don't miss anything but I don't make what they want. I make what I make and that's what they eat. I do modify it though because my daughter is a vegetarian (always has been) so I don't make her eat meat. I do put it on her plate (a smaller than kid size portion, I do know that kids tummies are small so I do give them kids size portions) but I also add an extra protein to our dinner, like beans or extra cheese or something like that. I did try to make her eat meat for a while but after talking to her doctor several times I've decided that it's best to give her the option, not force it but still provide an alternative. My daughter actually loves steamed veggies and all the nasty stuff that I and many kids don't like. I will do steamed asparagus (and several other veggies) for them and I won't eat them. I do try to keep them at their table but I physically have a hard time standing for long periods of time (more than about a minute) I'm supposed to be on bed rest, I'm 27 weeks pregnant. Sometimes I will sit on the floor with them at their table but then they like to crawl on me and play and that doesn't feel good or get them to eat. I do hope after we get a table it will help. Do you ever worry that your kids don't eat enough? How old are your kids now?

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

It's not a silly question. It seems like you've gone the wrong direction in teaching them meal time manners. I think it's really important to teach them to sit still in their chair and not get up until they're done. When they're done is up to you. I don't make my kids finish everything on their plate if they're obviously full, but if they try to eat 3 bites and tell me they're full, I tell them "No, you need to eat at least half of what's on your plate.". I also give my kids relatively small portions. Most people these days over feed their kids. They don't realize how small kids' stomachs are and try to give them small adult sized portions.

First of all, your kids need their own plates of food, not to eat off of yours. Second of all, they need to be made to sit down and not get up until meal time is over. If that means that you don't eat until they're done because you're actively standing there making them sit down, then so be it. Thirdly, I buckled my kids until I felt like they were to the point where they could sit in their booster (or chair) and not try to get up continuously. And fourth, don't make foods just because it's something they'll like and you know they'll eat it. My kids eat what is given to them no matter what and they know that. If I'm making spinach, they will eat it whether they want to or not. Kids have to be made to do things sometimes that they don't want to do. It's your job as their mom to make them do those things.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Sorry it was so much lol, I just started typing and got carried away. It seems like you're doing a great job with what foods you feed them and the right portion sizes. I went through a vegetarian phase as a preteen and my parents made me eat meat. It was really upsetting to me and made me sick, so I applaud you on respecting her decision. Hopefully things will get easier for you once you get a table. I don't know what I'd do without our kitchen table. We have eaten in our living room maybe 2-3 times since we've had kids. It's a really special time to me. All distractions are gone (tv off, phones off, don't answer the door) and it's family time. I don't worry that my kids don't eat enough. They very rarely complain that they're hungry and when they do it's usually because they're wanting to snack, not because they're actually hungry. They are 7, 4 and 2.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. That's a lot. Hopefully I don't miss anything but I don't make what they want. I make what I make and that's what they eat. I do modify it though because my daughter is a vegetarian (always has been) so I don't make her eat meat. I do put it on her plate (a smaller than kid size portion, I do know that kids tummies are small so I do give them kids size portions) but I also add an extra protein to our dinner, like beans or extra cheese or something like that. I did try to make her eat meat for a while but after talking to her doctor several times I've decided that it's best to give her the option, not force it but still provide an alternative. My daughter actually loves steamed veggies and all the nasty stuff that I and many kids don't like. I will do steamed asparagus (and several other veggies) for them and I won't eat them. I do try to keep them at their table but I physically have a hard time standing for long periods of time (more than about a minute) I'm supposed to be on bed rest, I'm 27 weeks pregnant. Sometimes I will sit on the floor with them at their table but then they like to crawl on me and play and that doesn't feel good or get them to eat. I do hope after we get a table it will help. Do you ever worry that your kids don't eat enough? How old are your kids now?

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)