• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Debt and bankruptcy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

While I was still married to my ex husband, he opened up several credit accounts in my name without my knowledge at the time.  We divorced shortly after, not due to the credit cards.  But, I never had access to these cards, much of which I did not know existed.  Now my credit is terrible, and I am being called by collection agencies to pay back the debt...he ran up.  Because it is in my name, we were married, it is my responsibility to repay.  I cannot afford to pay this it is thousands of dollars.  

I need to look into debt consolidation or even bankruptcy.  I hate to have to do either, but it will take me forever to pay this off and I haven't the money to even begin to make payments.  I am pay check to pay check now as it is.  

Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ReadWriteLuv
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

You can sue him for the amounts, if it's worth your time and money in lawyer fees to sue. My Mom did this to my Dad to the tune of $20,000.

livyla
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM

If i was you I would find a bankrupcy lawyer...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM

i cannot afford to sue him.  he hasn't even paid child support in over 2 years.  if he was, i wouldn't be in this situation.  pisses me off that he does not have to pay his responsibilities, yet i still have to allow him visitation...doesn't seem right.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)