• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I kinda feel sorry for her but... She still deserved it....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies

Her eyes look soooo.... Dead. She looks so much like a zombie. What happened to her to turn her into a monster? Did someone rape her, abuse her, beat her? Was she told that she wasn't wanted, was hated, was a bad or terrible human being? I feel soooo bad for the 9 yr old she killed, and their family, but I feel terrible for this girl. Someone may have done something terrible to her, or maybe she has mental disorders, I don't know. But either way, it makes me want to cry for her. She looks so dead inside. There is no light in her eyes. I feel sorry for this girl.

Tracking Image

Teen gets life for strangling, stabbing girl, 9, in thrill kill

By msnbc.com staff and news services

Cole County sheriff via AP

Alyssa Bustamante confessed to murdering a young neighbor.

JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri -- A teenager who confessed to strangling, cutting and stabbing a 9-year-old neighbor because she wanted to know how it felt to kill someone was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison with the possibility of parole.

Alyssa Bustamante, 18, had pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and armed criminal action in the October 2009 slaying of Elizabeth Olten in their small Missouri town. In her diary, she described the experience as "pretty enjoyable."

Bustamante had been charged with first-degree murder. By pleading guilty to the lesser charges, she avoided a trial and the possibility of spending her life in an adult prison with no chance of release.

advertisement

After the judge delivered the ruling, Bustamante spoke directly to the girl's family, NBC affiliate KOMU TV reported.

"I just want you guys to know that I really am sorry for everything," Bustamante said. "I know that words can never be enough and they can never adequately describe how horrible I feel."

Bustamante was 15 when she confessed to strangling Elizabeth, repeatedly stabbing her in the chest and slicing the girl's throat. She led police to the shallow grave where she had concealed Elizabeth's body under a blanket of leaves in the woods.

Background report, video from NBC affiliate KOMU TV

The teenager's defense attorneys had argued that Bustamante's use of the antidepressant Prozac had made her more prone to violence. They said she had suffered from depression for years and once attempted suicide by overdosing on painkillers.

But prosecutors noted that Bustamante had dug two graves several days in advance. Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. David Rice testified that the teenager told him "she wanted to know what it felt like" to kill someone.

Prozac defense used in teen's trial

Prosecutors also cited journal entries in which Bustamante described the exhilaration of killing Elizabeth.

"I strangled them and slit their throat and stabbed them now they're dead," Bustamante wrote in her diary, which was read in court by a handwriting expert. "I don't know how to feel atm. It was ahmazing. As soon as you get over the 'ohmygawd I can't do this' feeling, it's pretty enjoyable. I'm kinda nervous and shaky though right now. Kay, I gotta go to church now ... lol."

Bustamante then headed off to a youth dance at her church while a massive search began for the missing girl.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM
I've been that depressed most of my life and I just can't understand wanting to kill someone. It's just so sad
nerdymom28
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't feel sorry for her. She's a monster.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Sick bitch, glad she got life, should have been put on death row
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't feel sorry for her, she's a rare case of a true Sociopath. This girl was born wrong, she'll die wrong. There will be no rehabilitation, there will be no therapeutic personality change. This girl will have to be separated from society for the rest of her life, or she will do this again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MiSs.SmOkEy
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM
I dont feel bad for her. What a stupid bitch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM
I'm glad she was caught so she couldn't continue on her psychotic spree. She's a sick sick girl. Sad that she will be out of jail in such a short time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

What a monster!

pacman071606
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand the "I strangled THEM"... did she admit to killing someone else?

kikibix
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

No sympathy here.  Someone who says killing someone was "pretty enjoyable" deserves no sympathy.  I truly think some people are just born evil.  No amount of abuse can excuse her actions.  A lot of people are horrifically abused and go on to lead great lives and they would never behave this way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I agree she never should have killed anyone! But I still feel sorry for her. There is something truly wrong with her. I know she has to be put away for life, I agree with the punishment, but... I still feel this twinge of sympathy. I wonder what someone did to her, to make her the way she is. And if not, how can you say a mental problem is "her fault" if she felt she had to kill someone because her brain doesn't work...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)