Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A religion post

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM
  • 29 Replies

I have a question for everyone no matter religion or lack of...

Would you choose to not be friends with someone that is not of your religion or has beliefs opposite of yours? Would you make a family relationship minimal due to opposing religious beliefs? How would you respond if one of your children grew up to have opposing religious beliefs?

There is no need to have constant debates with this person. It would be a person that you would otherwise love and/or respect. They may have similar values even, just differing religious beliefs.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheMessThatsMe
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM
I have friends with vastly different views who I love and respect. There are certain things I/they partake in that we don't see eye to eye on, so we just don't invite each other to such events.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbirchard
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Everyone in my life had a different opinion in religion. My kids are free to believe anything they desire
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stellarmom1
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM
3 moms liked this

I am friends with people based on what kind of people they are not their religious beliefs. I don't care one bit what they do or don't believe as long as they are respectful to me.  If my children grow up to believe different than us, I would have no problem with that. They are free to make their own decisions.

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm Pagan.  I am very open about my beliefs and I will explain them to other when asked.

I respect other people's religion, but I do get upset when they try to convert me and I get even angrier when they trry to shove their beliefs down my kids throats.

I have many Christian friends and they know about and respect my religion.

As for family, we no longer talk to some family members due to their constant harrasment. Religion is only one aspect of the harrasment tho. I have a 20 year old daughter who is in a Pentacostal church that I consider very cultish because  wont talk to ANYONE not in their church.  She refuses to talk to ANY of.

As long as people respect my religion, I can respect theirs

mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I have lots of friends with lots of different religions. I have a friend of the family who is Wiccan, another who is pagan (specifically Celtic polytheistic) and I love them like I do any of my Christian friends. I have been to the middle east and had no issues associating with Muslims while I was there. In my life having a diverse group of friends enriches my life and opens me up to learn things i might not otherwise. 

Allie428
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Only 4 reponses. I want to hear from people that say religion is a deal breaker. I am really trying to understand how it is so important who is right. Especially since NO ONE has the answer!

abbymomo2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

In order...no, I would be friends with them. No, and my children are free to make their own informed decisions...that includes what they believe spiritually.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Allie428:

I have a question for everyone no matter religion or lack of...

Would you choose to not be friends with someone that is not of your religion or has beliefs opposite of yours? It depends. If they are constantly pushing their beliefs on me, then I would choose to end the friendship. Otherwise, it wouldn't bother me. My BFF is Christian, I am Atheist. We love and respect each other and really don't talk about it too much.

Would you make a family relationship minimal due to opposing religious beliefs? No.

How would you respond if one of your children grew up to have opposing religious beliefs? That is their choice. I would be happy that I raised them to be free thinkers and come to their own conclusions about life. 

AlilKittyKat
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I would never treat ANYONE different for their personal beliefs and i would hope the same in return.. I will always support my children no matter what their choice on religion or sexual preference for that matter.. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I can and I do. Just because I am Atheist doesn't mean I don't understand them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)