• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding harassment

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM
  • 27 Replies
Ok.....am i living under a rock?...i breast feed on demand in public all the time. I dont want people to see my boob so i try to cover it. Sometimes im sure someone catches a glimpse. I nurse in the checkout line. At restaurants. At get togethers. At the pool. Grocery shopping.

Nobody and i mean NOBODY has ever said a nasty word to me about it. Sometimes if im standing someone will offer me a chair. Hubby offers me a blanket and i say no cuz baby doesnt like it.

In the last year i have received nothing but supportive comments. Nobody shews me away or even looks uncomfortable....most people who notice smile and say "baby must be hungary". I have heard lots of "good for you". And "babys lucky to have mama here when she hungary".....a few moms say "im jealous i want another baby".

Some little girls have been directed to come watch me so they know how to feed their babies.

My neice 6 "breastfeeds" her baby dolls. Even the little boys dont tease her.

MY POINT IS......WHERE ARE ALL THE NURSING BASHERS OUT IN THE WORLD. PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I've been bashed.  I had nothing but support from my own family, but in public....

I've been asked to cover up (although I have also had people not even realize I was bfing and sit next to me and look at baby and think he was just sleeping, so it's not as if I had wipped out full frontal booy, I was discreet!).  I've been asked to take baby to the bathroom.  I've been asked to leave the mall.  I'm a complete and total pain in the butt about it now though.  It really taught me to stand up for myself and my baby.  Not that I think anyone should have to put up with harassment about it!  It did make me stronger and I've used that to stand up to doctors who did stupid things with my kids!

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM

When my 18 yr old son was an infant, I was at Taco Bell. It was my first outing with friends in a long time because I had been on bedrest for months.

My son cried and I lifted him out of his carried and lifted my sweater (it was January) and began to nurse him. My breast was totally covered and you would have had to be really staring at me to even notice I was nursing.

An old woman came up to me and told me I should "go do that in the bathroom"

I told her I would gladly nurse my son in the bathroom, when she took her meal and ate it in the bathroom.

She said something else I don't remember and left in a huff.

However I nursed 5 kids and that was the only time I ever had someone say anyting negative to me about nursing

Dextons_Mommy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I always took bottles I pumped with me when I went out with my son or else when to the bathroom to breastfeed. Breastfeeding in public has just not been something I personally was ever able to feel comfortable doing, and it's not because I was afraid of what someone might say to me, it's just me lol. I have no problem with anyone who does choose to breastfeed in public, I have seen it before many times and it doesn't bother me a bit, and to those women who are comfortable enough to do that, good for you :)

MrsErdos2011
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I'm with you. I've never heard a negative comment or even gotten a sideways glance. I've had little kids come up and ask me what my son is doing and I reply with "He's eating" and they say "Oh, ok." and they run off and play, repeat 2 mins later. Meanwhile the parents are more worried about their youngun asking 100 million questions to a stranger then what I'm actually doing.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

PitaPata Dog tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

heather644
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Holy cow. I cant believe it! Someone actually wanted you to nurse in a bathroom...like what you were doing was like taking a dump. This is terrible

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I've been bashed.  I had nothing but support from my own family, but in public....

I've been asked to cover up (although I have also had people not even realize I was bfing and sit next to me and look at baby and think he was just sleeping, so it's not as if I had wipped out full frontal booy, I was discreet!).  I've been asked to take baby to the bathroom.  I've been asked to leave the mall.  I'm a complete and total pain in the butt about it now though.  It really taught me to stand up for myself and my baby.  Not that I think anyone should have to put up with harassment about it!  It did make me stronger and I've used that to stand up to doctors who did stupid things with my kids!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM
4 moms liked this

KeepJeep
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM
We are lucky to live in a very laid back and accepting city. I've never had a single problem here. Asheville is a very breastfeeding friendly city!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather644
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Thats terrible!

Good for you girl!

Quoting wrensong:

When my 18 yr old son was an infant, I was at Taco Bell. It was my first outing with friends in a long time because I had been on bedrest for months.

My son cried and I lifted him out of his carried and lifted my sweater (it was January) and began to nurse him. My breast was totally covered and you would have had to be really staring at me to even notice I was nursing.

An old woman came up to me and told me I should "go do that in the bathroom"

I told her I would gladly nurse my son in the bathroom, when she took her meal and ate it in the bathroom.

She said something else I don't remember and left in a huff.

However I nursed 5 kids and that was the only time I ever had someone say anyting negative to me about nursing

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ARmomOf3
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM

idk ive never gotten any grief either lol

heather644
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Exactly my experience

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

I'm with you. I've never heard a negative comment or even gotten a sideways glance. I've had little kids come up and ask me what my son is doing and I reply with "He's eating" and they say "Oh, ok." and they run off and play, repeat 2 mins later. Meanwhile the parents are more worried about their youngun asking 100 million questions to a stranger then what I'm actually doing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)