Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Dance Moms real?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM
  • 3 Replies

No.  That isnt how dance works.  There are similarities but Im guessing Abbey Lee took the 5 or 6 craziest moms from her large studio and focuses on them and their kids.  Very little resembles actual competitions. Im sure toddlers and tiaras is the same way.  It isnt the norm.  Parents arent spending thousands a year to torture a kid.  In my experience the best kids at whatever they are doing are pushing parents for more time at that activity.  The parents are just willing to pay for it, they arent pushing it.  Kids dont do well when forced.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I agree. I have a friend that has a daughter dance. She was taking 2 classes, then her mother asked if she wanted to do another activity, the daughter told her she would rather take 2 more dance classes. LOL! Now she is taking 4!

She isn't torturing her daughter, it's the other way around. =D

noed
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I have never seen the show, but I've seen the previews. Those little girls always look like they are about to cry. It's sort of verbal abuse. 

Like I said I've never seen the show...but for those that do...what do you guys say about the dance instructor's methods?

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

There are times when the girls feel like they are going to cry because they are getting in trouble but not because they arent good enough.  They get in trouble for goofing off.  It does not involve screaming.  The teachers would get in trouble with the moms for that.  The teachers act like classroom teachers.  Sometimes they are upset and stern but nobody is abusive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)