Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can i lose weight?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

facts: I live at home... cant get a job (at least one where it'd pay for food- it'd have to be PT, and not affect school/hw)... cant get food stamps (in my st, if you live with your parents, you have to be 23 to get FS, even if you have a kid)...

my dad- no mom- goes on a real grocery shopping trip once every month or so.. the rest of the time, he gets the "condiments"... or "stable" foods-- basically whatevers NOT here.

i try to get as much meats, veggies/fruits, etc- as possible during the "real" shopping trip, but like all foods- within a few days/weeks, they are either gone, or spoiled. (like if i buy 3 things of strawberries- by the time i'm done with teh second one, the third is all moldy. yuck!)

when he goes shopping, he just buys junk. right now, we have crackers, speghetti stuff (sauce and noodles), chef boyrde's, sugar cereal (the new Krave stuff, captian crunch, etc).

i'm FAT. obese. my blood pressure is high, blood sugar is high, diabetes, etc... even though my dad knows all this (he also has blood pressure), he doesnt change his shopping. i'm 240 lbs and my only "excuse" is that i'm not the one shopping for the foods. i'm not the greatest, or even a half assed cook; my food sucks, but at least i try to incorporate veggies with meat, ontop of the junk... but like is aid- that lasts about a week per every shopping trip extend. last time there was a real shopping trip was before thanksgiving!

my kid is starting out bad, eating wise. not healthy at all. he's the opposite of most kids; most kids' once in a while treats are ice cream and junk food... his treats are once in a while fruits and veggies! while most kids get at least half their daily dose of the recommanded veggies/fruits, he's lucky to get half a day''s worth, within a week! does that make sense. only time he really gets it, is when he's in daycare and i'm in school.

i need to lose weight- and i blame it all on my diet (i run around the playground- thats my "workout").... but ontop of that- i have no idea how to get good food, or get my dad to understand that tuna helper is NOT a meal!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
DomoniqueWS
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM

go to the healthy weightloss group....there's a lady named Claire on there who gives great advice.  Good Luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Can you apply for extra FA funds to get the foods yo need and maybe an at home fitness program. Try slim in 6 or some other low impact activity to start. Playing with your kid is good,but not exercise,its activity. Oh and maybe you should go to the healthy weight loss group. Also do you qualify for WIC?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM

whats FA funds?

all my working out will have to be at home and i cant afford any programs, like weight watchers (not sure what slim in 6 is... but i'll google it after this).

i do get Wic, but food wise- its only IMO sugary juice (juicy juice), beans, milk and the rest is formula and stuff

Quoting Anonymous:

Can you apply for extra FA funds to get the foods yo need and maybe an at home fitness program. Try slim in 6 or some other low impact activity to start. Playing with your kid is good,but not exercise,its activity. Oh and maybe you should go to the healthy weight loss group. Also do you qualify for WIC?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Join weight watchers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crashmonster1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I crockpot a turkey breast weekly that costs 7 dollars a week.  I eat 2oz portions of that turkey breast and it lasts me the entire week.  I eat it twice  a day with tomatos and a 1/3cup shredded cheese.  Its a boring diet but it really helps me out.  I pick up the rest of my calories from raw nuts and dried fruit yes they can be expensive but considering they last a long while and they are super healthy its worth it to me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

FA=Financial Aid. You can apply for extra cash for living expenses such as food/or work study. Or why not get a part time job so that you can use the money to buy healthy foods. Oh and beans are a good source of protein and fiber,so they can aid in weight loss

Quoting Anonymous:

whats FA funds?

all my working out will have to be at home and i cant afford any programs, like weight watchers (not sure what slim in 6 is... but i'll google it after this).

i do get Wic, but food wise- its only IMO sugary juice (juicy juice), beans, milk and the rest is formula and stuff

Quoting Anonymous:

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM

First, try (again) to have a heart to heart with your dad.  Tell him your scared for your health and want to make some changes but you can't do it without his support.  Second, buy fresh AND frozen and eat fresh the first couple weeks and eat frozen veggies and fruit after that.  You need more exercise than the playground unless you're actually working out there and not just chasing your son. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)