Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mean Christians?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

I always see posts about religion and I tend to stay out of the foray but I do have a question.  Why are people who claim to be Christians so rude and nasty to those whose beliefs are different than theirs?  I thought Christians were supposed to be accepting and loving toward all.  Just being a Christian does not give you the right to judge others.  I thought judgment was to be in the hands of the Lord.  I thought a Christians responsibilty was to love others not just those with the same beliefs.  I'm not bashing anyone's religion, I'm only curious how your God feels when you are rude and plain down mean to your fellow man.  I grew up in the Church and have seen this over and over and this kind of attitude is what turns me against Christianity.  I'm not saying ALL Christians are this way only that from my experience most seem to be like this.     

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Some Christians are rude, some are not, just like any group of people.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Those who act the way you just described are not Christians no matter how much they claim to be. They claim Christianity because it gives them an excuse to feel like they're somehow better than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlyBren
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/presumption/no-true-scotsman/

Quoting Anonymous:

Those who act the way you just described are not Christians no matter how much they claim to be. They claim Christianity because it gives them an excuse to feel like they're somehow better than others.

Mweddle
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I think the answer to your question is Because they are human.  

What I see a lot on here is there is controversial issue and if a Christian gives her opinion (for instance voting against gay marriage or being pro-life---I'm not taking a stance here btw this is just hypothetical) she is being judgemental.  I think there are a lot of mean Christians but i see a lot of mean atheists too...I mean pretty much any group of people has mean people involved in it.  One thing you have to remember is to keep God and your personal relationship with Him not based on how nice other Christians are.  I'm sorry you've had to deal with that.  I've had to deal with mean Christians too (and a REALLY mean atheist) and I am a Christian.  I also know a lot of really awesome Christians and atheists.  I wouldn't have made it through the infertility treatments, failed IVF, mountains of debt, stress on my marriage, and the stresses of adoption without my church family but ESPECIALLY without God.  I personally think a better title would be why are people so mean. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I fully agree- OP! Couldn't have said it better myself... I just disconnect myself from those types, and I am glad I'm not one of them!

spicy_n_sweet
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Some people are just assholes. Their religious affiliation isn't going to change that fact.

Bitchess
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Fundies come in all flavours, shapes, sizes and colours.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

hp2011
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

OH GOD. HERE WE GO.

I am not like that and I too dislike other Christians that are judgemental and mean... 

That's all I'm saying.

"If you cannot accept me at my worst, you do not deserve me at my best."- Marilyn Monroe

If being a stubborn, opinionated, educated, headstrong, beautiful woman makes me a b!tch, so be it.

kathienpb
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM
My aunt is sooooo like that. She accused my mom of stealing from my grandma (which my mom never would have done that anyhow...just had to stir up trouble and make herself feel better) and my mom never spoke to her again. Then my mom died and she thought she was going to speak at the funeral. Not sure why she even went to the funeral but she didn't get to speak. Now she all alone in Montana cuz nobody likes her but she still thinks she's better than everyone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reese1206
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this
There are rude and judgmental people in all walks of life. Not fair to group the majority into just Christians. We do not have to accept all things people do. We are called to love all and treat them kindly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)