• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have never done this before...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

First of all, my first confession post.

I have much guilt about considering cheating in my math class.. I know you're probably thinking "whoop dee freakin doo" but I feel really bad.

I have a Math class, and I signed up for an online section. My friend is a math wiz and said I could pay her to do the whole course and get me an A so I can meet my requirements to transfer and wrap up my bachelors. Math is not required in the field I am going into so I don't feel like I am cheating myself of skills that could hurt/harm my profession, it's just that I work at the same college I attend and academic dishonesty is a big deal -- especially to me, an employee.

I don't work for the department in which I am enrolled in the math course. I just can't justify spending hours working out calculations to show all work when I could be reading to my kids, playing with them -- that is #1 to me. I am very busy with my other class, 2 jobs, and 2 children under 3 years of age.

If I do this, I will have to do it the following semester for the next level required math class to transfer.  

Has anyone done this? Did you feel guilty? Were there any ramifications?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JayC512
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
You'll always need math in life. If something's telling you not to do it then listen to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I never understood why i needed certain class in school. but you will always need math..even if you dont think you will..what is the field your going into?

airplanechick
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I understand the temptation and even some of the justifications. But I think if you do this, you will regret betraying your morals. There's a reason you feel guilty about this. Hold yourself to a higher standard. It's the kind of decision you would want your own children to make isn't it? Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Quoting IansMommy2012:

I never understood why i needed certain class in school. but you will always need math..even if you dont think you will..what is the field your going into?

The math class deals with compounding annuities and all that bank crap, and I am going into Nursing. I would NEVER consider cheating for my drug dosage calcuations course, in fact I enjoy those and look forward to the class. It's just this boogus finance requirement for the general ed pre-requisites. 

mamaclairbear
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM

You will use math EVERYDAY in nursing. Drug calculations, I&O's, conversions to the metric system. Do it yourself.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IansMommy2012:

The math class deals with compounding annuities and all that bank crap, and I am going into Nursing. I would NEVER consider cheating for my drug dosage calcuations course, in fact I enjoy those and look forward to the class. It's just this boogus finance requirement for the general ed pre-requisites. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

i understand where you are coming from believe me..i never understood why i needed to take statistics. :/ but i've used it since then. and im going into administration..but ive used it..you may not think you will need it, and maybe for your particular field you wont need it, but what if you build a house? or switch majors?  (me n dh are currently building a house and you would be suprised just how much math you actually need)

*edit* especially when it comes to financial aspect of it...all that bank crap is what you want to learn about it! Because you will want to learn how to keep track of your finances. but that's just me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Quoting mamaclairbear:

You will use math EVERYDAY in nursing. Drug calculations, I&O's, conversions to the metric system. Do it yourself.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Yeah I'm really going to be balancing my patients  checkbooks and talking to them about interest and annuities.... I am not math illiterate, I have met all my Chemistry requirements and I have a 3.5 GPA. Intake and output is basic measuring and metric conversions is basic 7th grade math.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Quoting IansMommy2012:

i understand where you are coming from believe me..i never understood why i needed to take statistics. :/ but i've used it since then. and im going into administration..but ive used it..you may not think you will need it, and maybe for your particular field you wont need it, but what if you build a house? or switch majors?  (me n dh are currently building a house and you would be suprised just how much math you actually need)

*edit* especially when it comes to financial aspect of it...all that bank crap is what you want to learn about it! Because you will want to learn how to keep track of your finances. but that's just me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IansMommy2012:

That is very insightful...

mamaclairbear
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM

You are the one that said math isn't needed in your profession.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mamaclairbear:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Yeah I'm really going to be balancing my patients  checkbooks and talking to them about interest and annuities.... I am not math illiterate, I have met all my Chemistry requirements and I have a 3.5 GPA. Intake and output is basic measuring and metric conversions is basic 7th grade math.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't do it! One.word. INTEGRITY.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)