Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Educate us all.......Please *****Edited....Wow you guys amaze me!!

Posted by   + Show Post

So looking over these post I see so many of you ripping into others and obese kids. I understand some of you only call into question morbidly obese children others however call the slightest bit of extra weight fat.

So what us moms that have bigger kids want to know is WTH are you feeding your kids that you think my food is junk? Seriously in the pa/fs post almost all said educate. I'm giving you that chance to do so.

List what your dinner plans are for the rest of the week, & breakfast for the weekend.

Then tell us how much you spent at the grocery store last time and how long that will last.

Also how many are you feeding for this price.

Wow you guys are amazing! I love that some of you even bake your own bread or grind your own wheat & other things. Thats truly amazing. I don't know how you find the time to do all of it, but wow!

So I have learned alot from you all, Most 5-6 person families spend around 800-1000 a month on food. Thats alot of mulah girls! Im right there with ya, I was on a tight budget this week and still spent close to 200 for a week.

3-4 person families about 400-600 a month

1-2 person families 200-400 a month.

So wow, food is expensive. I'm proud of all you mommies, I didn't really see a problem with most of the menus. Seems like  "typical" type meals for families. Course I am in no way a dietician and never claimed to be. LOL.  Most of us are going to splurge here or there, and some of us all the time. I know I have learned alot. I can also see why fs families go with poorer choices, it would most definaltely be outta there budget range to eat all the fruits and veggies, cause I know in my rural area they aren't readily available all year, and in the summer transport make cost go way up. I really like that some of you go to farmers markets to get your food. Someone also said that you can use food stamps at them now. Thats really cool.

I know some of you will say this is incredible but up until two years ago, I had never even had an avacado, didn't know what it was. They just aren't brought here often. I wonder if anyone else has these type problems with buying their food? I'm sure I'm not the only one who lives rurally. Course in the summer we can have a garden, raise a beef, my dad raises chickens, so we got things like that we can, freeze or can. My mom and dad also have a bunch of trees when they do good we freeze apples, peaches, & pears.

But I gotta be honest with ya, I am one of those moms that gives her kids choices, bad and good. I read someone else did this to. But I got a snack rack in my pantry and fridge. They contain yogurt, cheese bites, fruit, carrots, tomatoes, apples, ect. and on the other, cheezits, crackers, little debbies, chips, pb. ect. My kids don't eat alot of the junk food, but we do got it and they are free to eat it. Most times however they would rather have a apple or banana, cause they are like fruit crazy round here.

I do think after hearing all of you we could really use that education on nutrition. I do think that it would improve most eating habits. I think it should be a requirement for fs, but I also think it should be free to anyone who wants to take it, or at low cost. My dd is a freshman in hs now and during their gym/health class it wasn't really a big thing. Health was more of a bother to most students dd said. And it wasn't taken as a "serious" class, it was mostly a "fun" class. I remember mine too, and it was the same way. We learned about some of the physical health, but not nutrition, and it was a joke class to most of us, cause everyone passed that class. I also took home ec. I'm not sure if that is still required, but we learned how to make one smoothie and how to make biscuits, thats honestly all I remember about the class other than basic learning skills. So yeah, govt should defintately look into this before they go messing with something they will have even more dificulties doing such as limitations ect.

My dad always said that women could fix the budget if some of them men would just listen, LOL. Maybe they should start reading cafemom! LOL!

I'm proud of you guys for working so hard on feeding your family well!!

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

what about the kids who cant gain weight and are pin thin??? my kids diet would send some of these moms into a full blown bash. my kids diets are planned by their pedi and nutritionist. and yes it contains high fat. and its only stabalizing their weight. we have to be sure they get everything they need everyday adding a high fat is very difficult. i couldnt imagine if they regulated fs and we had to go on them. my kids would end up so sick :(

having medical conditions that your body does not absorb nutrients and minerals needed to function is awful. and yes your body needs fat. thats why they have good fat and bad fat.  when your body starts eating its own muscle b/c there is no fat you get sick and frail! you need fat in your diet!

NewDawnFades
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Idk man, my kids eat whatever. So do my df's kids. My kids are all underweight except my 1 yr old, she's right on target. Df's kids are proportionate...they're all tall for their ages and healthy weights for their heights. My kids are just tiny, always have been. We do whole milk, whatever kind of cereal, oatmeal, scrambled eggs with cheese, poptarts(oh the horror) for breakfast. They get granola bars, fruit, veggies and ranch, crackers and cheese, the occasional little debbie for snacks. For dinner I cook, I make a lot of different things, spaghetti, chili, cheeseburgers, tacos, a couple different kinds of soups and stews, baked chicken, fried chicken, pork chops...everything has two sides, a starch and a vegetable. 

I don't watch for low fat or anything like that. Not for the kids. They're healthy and growing well. We spend $1000/mo for 8 people, 13 people every other weekend. 

PlineyJane
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Lol you will probably find alot more sp mistakes as im typing on my phone and well dont really care.
Got to love the smart asses in the morning. ;)

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Since you asked to be educated...

Quoting PlineyJane:

Chili

chicken
quesadilla

Hamburger and fries homemade

Roast with potatoes
carrots peas and rolls.

Breakfast

cereal one day

Pancakes bacon scrambled eggs.

Snacks after school usually fruit

$175

Family of 5

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I actually love being a smart ass in the morning. Well, other times of the day too.  I am glad you got a laugh.  It is light-hearted poking...lol.

Quoting PlineyJane:

Lol you will probably find alot more sp mistakes as im typing on my phone and well dont really care.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Quoting PlineyJane:

Chili

chicken
quesadilla

Roast with potatoes
carrots peas and rolls.

Breakfast

cereal one day

$175

Family of 5

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM
It what world is your 16 yrs old weight to height ratio okay?! I'm 5'1 and that's what I'm supposed to way.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting PlineyJane:

Chili
chicken quisadea
Roast with potatoes carrotts peas and rolls.

Breakfast
cereal one day

$175
Family of 5

It seems fine but if your kids are heavy on this diet I would look at the fat content and proportions.  Half or more of my kids meals are fruits and veggies.  The chili would be no more than 1 cup for my 16 year old.  It would be made with lean meat and toppings would not be to fatty like cheese, sour cream and olives.   They would also have salad, fruit and low fat milk with it.  My 16 year old is 5'8" and 110 pounds.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PlineyJane
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Well I figure if you didn't mean it as poking well wth who cares. I really want to know what other moms are feeding their kids and if someones got to poke let them. Idc I know my sp is bad when using my phone. Well probably other times to lol

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I actually love being a smart ass in the morning. Well, other times of the day too.  I am glad you got a laugh.  It is light-hearted poking...lol.

Quoting PlineyJane:

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Quoting PlineyJane:

Chili

chicken
quesadilla

Roast with potatoes
carrots peas and rolls.

Breakfast

cereal one day

$175

Family of 5

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brocksmom3
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Quoting Elyce225:

Tonight we are having filet mignon, green beans sauteed in fresh organic garlic, homemade butter/garlic noodles (we have our own wheat mill that grinds wheat berries to make our own flour) and homemade bread. We get all of our meat (steaks, chicken, turkey, pork, ground beef) from a local farmer.  He does not use antibiotics, all of his animals are free range, and he does not use meat glue.  

Tomorrow we will have either teriyaki chicken (all natural teriyaki) wrapped in spinach and homemade sweet potato fries or turkey meatball sandwiches.

Saturday, homemade pizza topped with mushrooms, spinach, feta cheese, and maybe some leftover chicken.

Sunday we'll probably go out to dinner.

Today for breakfast will be a fruit, either blueberries (the super fruit) or bananas.  Some homemade apple bread and a glass of juice (Either juice from my juicer or simply orange, whatever the kids want).  

I make all of our jam/jellies so if they want toast they get it on homemade bread.

If the kids want cereal we buy all natural from the health store.  It has the Koala on the box?  They are like rice krispies.   We do not buy corn based cereal, corn is GMO.  We get eggs, bacon, sausage etc from our local farmer.  We only drink almond milk.

We have fruit and veggies always available to the kids.  They do not have to ask if they ever want to snack on them.  We have organic chips that do not use msg and they love sweet potato chips.  I make homemade brownies for them often (with spinach in them).  

We spend between 200-300 a week (that is excluding eating out) on food.  That is feeding 5 people and my three month old is going to be starting solids soon, so almost 6. 

We do not buy anything with hfcs, msg or dyes.  If it has ingredients we can read in it we don't get it.  We buy all of our fruit and veggies organically so there are no pesticides on them.  When we get yogurt and ice cream we buy the goats milk kind. 

Anything else you want to know?

*I love reading your food posts! It gives me lots of new ideas to try. You should make your own post dedicated to healthy eating! I think you could help alot of people.
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting brocksmom3:

Quoting Elyce225:

Tonight we are having filet mignon, green beans sauteed in fresh organic garlic, homemade butter/garlic noodles (we have our own wheat mill that grinds wheat berries to make our own flour) and homemade bread. We get all of our meat (steaks, chicken, turkey, pork, ground beef) from a local farmer.  He does not use antibiotics, all of his animals are free range, and he does not use meat glue.  

Tomorrow we will have either teriyaki chicken (all natural teriyaki) wrapped in spinach and homemade sweet potato fries or turkey meatball sandwiches.

Saturday, homemade pizza topped with mushrooms, spinach, feta cheese, and maybe some leftover chicken.

Sunday we'll probably go out to dinner.

Today for breakfast will be a fruit, either blueberries (the super fruit) or bananas.  Some homemade apple bread and a glass of juice (Either juice from my juicer or simply orange, whatever the kids want).  

I make all of our jam/jellies so if they want toast they get it on homemade bread.

If the kids want cereal we buy all natural from the health store.  It has the Koala on the box?  They are like rice krispies.   We do not buy corn based cereal, corn is GMO.  We get eggs, bacon, sausage etc from our local farmer.  We only drink almond milk.

We have fruit and veggies always available to the kids.  They do not have to ask if they ever want to snack on them.  We have organic chips that do not use msg and they love sweet potato chips.  I make homemade brownies for them often (with spinach in them).  

We spend between 200-300 a week (that is excluding eating out) on food.  That is feeding 5 people and my three month old is going to be starting solids soon, so almost 6. 

We do not buy anything with hfcs, msg or dyes.  If it has ingredients we can read in it we don't get it.  We buy all of our fruit and veggies organically so there are no pesticides on them.  When we get yogurt and ice cream we buy the goats milk kind. 

Anything else you want to know?

*I love reading your food posts! It gives me lots of new ideas to try. You should make your own post dedicated to healthy eating! I think you could help alot of people.

Thank you!  If I made a post it would be more "You are crazy, processed foods doesn't give you cancer, I ate poison all of my life and I'm fine, you are a sanctimommy", lol.  I'll pass but I love sharing my ideas when a post like this pops up.  

PlineyJane
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM
She already explained it. Her dd has thyroid disorder. And is good with her weight check out the other posts and she even has a pic up.

Quoting Anonymous:

It what world is your 16 yrs old weight to height ratio okay?! I'm 5'1 and that's what I'm supposed to way.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting PlineyJane:

Chili
chicken quisadea
Roast with potatoes carrotts peas and rolls.

Breakfast
cereal one day

$175
Family of 5

It seems fine but if your kids are heavy on this diet I would look at the fat content and proportions.  Half or more of my kids meals are fruits and veggies.  The chili would be no more than 1 cup for my 16 year old.  It would be made with lean meat and toppings would not be to fatty like cheese, sour cream and olives.   They would also have salad, fruit and low fat milk with it.  My 16 year old is 5'8" and 110 pounds.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsbrimer
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM
we spend about $500/month on groceries for a family of 4.

Examples of meals are...

Breakfast: oatmeal with applesauce
Or scrambled eggs or toast

Lunch: peanutbutter and jelly sandwich or chicken nuggets or hard boiled egg sandwich with a different assortment of sides like pears,peaches,pineapples,apples,bananas,oranges,peas,greenbeans,applesauce,yogurt,jello

Dinner: we usually make chicken breast, pork, spaghetti, turkey burgers, and steaks. Some sides we make are : sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn, peas, broccoli, carrots, rice

When my kids want snacks they get fresh fruit, teddy grahams, gold fish, cherrios, frozen gogurts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)