Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner ideas ladies! *HELP*

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM
  • 11 Replies
I can't think of anything to have for dinner all week! Im settin here making my week long grocery list an my mind can not think of any ideas! My family an i aren't very picky so any ideas would be greatly appreciate! Thank you :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Do they like spicy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Are you on Pintrest? That's where I've been getting a lot of my new recipe ideas.

by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Something easy and tasty is a recipe I came up with for pasta that tastes like a chicken pot pie. All you need is the chicken(I use the Tyson canned(2 big ones) breast meat), a can(2 if you use a whole box of pasta) of cream of chicken, veggies, noodles, and whatever spices you'd want to add. If you are interested I will type it all out lol.

We do pizza twice a month, tacos once a month(or quesadillas, tostada bake, burritos), spaghetti(either with cheese stuffed chicken or ground turkey), soup and sandwich night, steaks once a month....I do a lot of dinner cooking lol

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM attitude chicken

TPW: Chicken Fried Steak

Chicken Tacos

..what can I say? We like chicken :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I made jerk seasoned black bean burgers yesterday, they were good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Sweet potato chili is my families favorite winter time meal.. serve with corn bread or crackers and grated cheddar cheese... YUMMY!

Sweet Potato Chili
• 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 jalapeno, chopped
• 1 T olive oil
• 1 large onion, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 T chili powder
• 1 t cumin
• 1/2 t dried oregano
• 2 C water
• 1 can diced tomatoes in juice (14.5 oz.)
• 2 T tomato paste
• 1 can black beans (15 oz.), rinsed and drained
• 1 can kidney beans (15 oz.), rinsed and drained
• 2 T cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
• 1/2 avocado, chopped (for garnish)

Really, the toughest part of this recipe was the chopping. I always like to get it out of the way before I begin anything else.

Sweet potatoes:

(and onion and garlic, too!)

Now, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook, while stirring, until the onions appear to be translucent, about 3 minutes.

Then stir in the peppers and cook for about 10 more minutes. Don’t forget to keep stirring! After 10 minutes, stir in the chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for another 2.

Ready for the next step? Add in ALL the other ingredients besides the garnish, obvi (cilantro and avocado). This includes (deep breath!) sweet potatoes, water, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, black beans, and kidney beans.

And bring the mixture to a boil. Hello, you just basically finished the whole recipe. I told you it was easy!

Then, lower to a simmer, cover, and cook it until the sweet potatoes are nice and tender. I simmered mine for about 25 minutes.

Serve and garnish!

And enjoy the chili that is so good it just can’t be healthy. But it is. I mean, do you see anything bad about this chili?

I don’t want to say it tasted “meaty” because that might freak some people out, but it was totally hearty and tasted like so much more than just veggies. The flavors were out of this world and I honestly would make this over and over and over (next time I might even double the recipe so I can have some in the freezer for a long, long time).

I mean, you could even make this chili for the Super Bowl and have a whole lot of people oohing and ahhing over it before you tell them it’s packed with antioxidants, fiber, and other good stuff. I mean, it kinda balances out all the buffalo wings and nachos, right? I’m going with yes.

Or maybe it actually balances out what I’ll be posting later this week. Which I’m warning you is very dangerous. But also quite necessary in this weather. Trust me.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM

• 1 T ancho chile powder
• 1 T Mexican oregano
• 1/2 T backed brown sugar
• 1/2 T smoked paprika
• 1 t cayenne pepper
• 1 t salt
• 1-1.25 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts

BBQ Sauce:

• 3/4 C ketchup
• 1/2 C apple cider
• 1/4 C apple cider vinegar (or regular vinegar)
• 1 T brown mustard
• 1 t Worcestershire sauce
• 1 T espresso powder

For Assembly:

• 1 T canola oil
• 1 large red onion, cut into strips
• 8 corn tortillas, warmed
• 6 oz. queso fresco, crumbled     

(pre-heat oven to 350 degrees)

First, get the spice rub ready for the chicken. Mix together the ancho chile powder, oregano, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt in a small dish.

Rub the chicken breasts evenly with the spice mix and place in a greased 13×9 inch pan.

Bake chicken at 350 degrees for 22 to 25 minutes, until it’s cooked through and no longer pink in center.

Cool the chicken for 10 minutes, cut into small chunks, and place in a large bowl.

While the chicken is cooking, you can get started on the BBQ sauce. Place ketchup, apple cider vinegar (I only had regular vinegar and that was fine), mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and espresso powder in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat.

Cook for 5-7 minutes, until it’s thickened.

Mix the BBQ sauce with the chicken.

Heat canola oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and saute onion strips for about 7 minutes, until tender.

Crumble up the queso fresco. I have to say this is not my most favorite cheese. It’s way too mild for me; I love a nice, sharp cheese! But then, a sharp cheese wouldn’t have been great on this because it would over-power the BBQ flavor. And the BBQ flavor was way too good to be overpowered.

Sadly, my Spanish has seriously deteriorated from college and instead of purchasing corn tortillas, I purchased corn arepas. And didn’t realize until I opened them that they’re much thicker than a tortilla. Guess I need to brush up on my Espanol en la cocina, eh?

So, the arepas didn’t quite fold as well as a typical tortilla would.

But overall, everything was absolutely delicious. I’d actually really like to bottle up this BBQ sauce and put it on pretty much everything (OK, everything that I’m not already spreading peppermint frosting on). Next time I make these tacos, I might actually make more BBQ sauce to top them with. I’ve always been the “More BBQ sauce on the side” kinda girl.

This was a pretty awesome alternative to the typical taco night. The chicken was super tender and I absolutely love the taste of browned up onion strips!

Another topping I might add in next time? Avocados. I think that would give the perfect green touch and bring all the flavors together. Plus, what isn’t avocado good on?

And if I kept some of that spice rub ready to go and some BBQ sauce in my fridge, I could easily whip this up on a busy weeknight. This could become a regular in my kitchen!

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Homemade mac n cheese. very simple to make.

2 cups uncooked noodles. rotini, elbow, ziti macaroni

2 tablespoons margarine or butter

1 small onion chopped, about 1/4 cup

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 cups milk

8 ounces cheese, american, swiss, smokey, velveeta(1 cheese loaf, cut into half inch cubes). (I prefer the smokey cheddar)

1. Bring pot of water to a boil, add the noodles and cook until short of al-dente

2. in small saucepan, add the onion and butter. cook for about 3 minutes. Stir flour, salt, pepper. Cook stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles; remove from heat and add milk. Put pot back on stove and heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until all the cheese is melted. Then pour over macaroni and stir together until coated. Pour into ungreased 1 1/2qt casserole dish. Bake for about 30minutes or until nice and bubbly and brown ontop.

I personally like to add a topping to it before baking.

P.S. Bake at 350*

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Buffalo Chicken Meatballs (serves 3-4)

• 1 lb. ground white meat chicken
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped finely
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 C parsley chopped
  • 1 1/2 t paprika
  • 1/2 t cayenne
  • salt and pepper
  • 3/4 C hot sauce (I really, really, really recommend Frank’s RedHot)

buffalo chicken meatballs

The meatballs were a lot easier to make then I expected, which was awesome because we had other important things to do, like change all the categories on every single one of our old posts.

To get started, combine the ground chicken, onion, garlic, parsley, paprika, and cayenne in a large bowl; and mix it all together with some salt and pepper. My garlic mysteriously disappeared, so I had to use minced garlic in a jar instead. Not ideal, but it was fine!

Buffalo Chicken Meatballs

After the mixture is combined, take about 2 t of it and roll it in the palm of your hand to form a meatball the size of a golfball. Get a rimmed baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. And put the meatballs in the oven for about 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.

In the meantime, heat the hot sauce in a large skillet. So, I definitely have a thing with Frank’s RedHot sauce, which is why I highly recommend it if you’re making this recipe or absolutely any recipe that needs hot sauce. I grew up with my mom’s buffalo wings and she has always used Frank’s RedHot, so that’s probably why I’m so obsessed. And when I was in the grocery store, I discovered that Frank’s actually makes an “Xtra Hot” sauce. So I had to buy both and do half the meatballs with that and half with the regular Frank’s. No matter what you do, 3/4 of the hot sauce should be enough for the chicken meatballs, but more never hurts!

When the meatballs are done baking in the oven, pop them into the skillet and coat with the hot sauce.

And serve! I was super confused about what to serve the meatballs with. Carrots and celery alone just seemed kind of boring and something else needed to be involved. I was going to make some blue cheese dressing, when I got the idea for blue cheese mashed potatoes. I think they were the perfect pairing and I will be posting that recipe (super duper easy) very soon.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Here’s what you for Zucchini Pasta Carbonara:

• 3/4 pounds of egg noodles (or any thick pasta)
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 T butter
  • 1/4 lb. prosciutto, thinly sliced
  • 1 yellow onion,  chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2-4 summer squash (I used 2 medium ones and thought it was a good amount), chopped
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 C parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 t lemon zest
  • 1/2 C  basil, sliced thin

First, bring your pot water for the pasta to a boil. There’s nothing worse than being ready for your pasta and realizing you still have to boil the water. I just have to say, I was cooking this meal in Chris’s kitchen and he has next to nothing when it comes to cooking utensils and counter space (super nice kitchen but barely any counters!). So, this meal was a bit of a struggle to get on the table, but I think I did a good job with what I had.

Put the olive oil and butter in a frying pan on medium high and lay your prosciutto in the pan.

Fry the prosciutto got about 30 seconds on each side and then remove from pan and place on a peper towel covered plate.

Using the same pan you cooked the prosciutto in, add the squash, onion, and garlic, still on medium high. Stir the vegetables so they’re coated with oil from the pan and spread them out and salt and pepper them. Cook until they are slightly browned.

This is where I put my pasta in the boiling water. You might want to do it sooner depending on how long you need to cook it. My Al Dente only took 3 minutes!

Now that the prosciutto is cooler, you can tear it into little pieces.

Now, in a medium bow, beat your eggs and mix in the grated parm and lemon zest. My parmesan was more chopped finely as Chris doesn’t have a grater (eeek).

I drained the pasta, reserving 1/2 C of liquid. Add the veggies to the pasta. Pour the egg mixture over the pasta and quickly stir with a wooden spoon. The heat will cook the egg. Trust me, it works! Then stir in the prosciutto and basil.

Add more basil to garnish.

Seriously yum. I know carbonara isn’t the healthiest thing in the world, but sometimes you need some comfort food. And there’s zucchini squash in it too, so at least there’s some nutrition! Plus, it was easy to cook with minimal kitchen tools!

But really, this dish is amazingly filling and satisfying and you don’t need a ton of it to feel full. The sauce is delicious and I’m a fan of the thick noodles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)