Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Morbid 4 year old?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

So I nanny a 4 year old little girl after school every day and I can't help but notice that she is a little morbid. Talking about death...A LOT. 

We were driving home from her daycare and she was leaning out of her booster seat, so I asked her to sit the right way in her seat and she responded with..."oops I forgot, because we have to sit the right way or if we get into an accident I could fly out of the car and be killed and I'd be dead."

which okay...she's right, good on her for knowing what would happen....

but it doesn't stop there. Everything is dead. We watched nanny mcphee...and the medicine she gave the kids the movie, the little girl (Anna) said, "that is dead water. It is black like death, so its dead water. its going to kill the children"

weird. 

Everything she mentions is either about death or about killing something. "Dont step on the cracks, they will kill you."

I don;t know...I've taught preschool for quite a few years and Ive never encountered a child that spoke so much about death and killing.

My original hunch is that someone must have died close to her, like a close relative for her to have been exposed to such a dark topic.

Should I say something to her when she talks about this stuff? Should I talk to her mom? It is just really weird to hear such "emo" (for lack of a better word) things coming out of a 4 year olds mouth. 

(im posting anon because I don't know if her mom is on CM and if she is, this is not how I would want to bring the subject up with her)

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommythree0508
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:27 AM
My daughter went through something similar after my husband's grandfather died. It was a phase that passed.I would still mention it to her mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charliebean
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:27 AM

Maybe if you wrote your post with something other than lemon juice, we would be able to read it.

ilayframe
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:28 AM
My 4 year old ds talks about death..but not in the way you describe. His is mostly about killing bad guys and bad guys and cowboys dying...We watch a lot of westerns lol.

Her convos seem a little strange.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Incredible
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:28 AM

I would bring it up with her mom and mention that you're concerned that she's talking about such morbid things and ask if everything is okay.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Yeah I have encountered that from students, but her comments really strike me as odd. We were playing with another child and Anna was making remarks like that, they were kicking a ball and she said "if you kick the ball to hard it will burst and it will be dead because you killed it"

The other little girl stopped playing with her. 

Quoting ilayframe:

My 4 year old ds talks about death..but not in the way you describe. His is mostly about killing bad guys and bad guys and cowboys dying...We watch a lot of westerns lol.

Her convos seem a little strange.

saltyalley1227
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmm. That's a tough one. I think I'd start with questions like "why do you think that?" or "who told you that?" when it's things like cracks, death water, etc. And try deterring like "oh, no, you're so silly, those wont hurt you..."
Then maybe if she is more insistent or it gets worse mention to her mom and ask if someone has died recently.
There is a great children's book called "someone i love died" which you fill in with your feelings and can read over again. My aunt died of cancer and it really helped her kids cope better and get it, as they were only 3 and 5 at the time. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:34 AM
Looks like everyone is reading it just fine! Thx tho

Quoting charliebean:

Maybe if you wrote your post with something other than lemon juice, we would be able to read it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:36 AM
I agree it is strange, but my dd was that way too, for at least a year, starting at about 4. She was also fascinated with the graveyard we always drive passed. The oddest thing is, death never really seemed to bother her, even though she was always talking about it. Maybe, it is just a wayto figure out a complex idea? I would mention it to her mother, but not.make.a big deal of it. The mom probably already knows though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrstheriault
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:37 AM

maybe she asked a parent about it and they told her it was a normal part of life so she's trying to include it?

YettaR
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:47 AM
Maybe your old and need glasses :-)

Quoting charliebean:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)