Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SO has no discretion. "Whoopin's"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

SO and I were grocery shopping last night. At the check-out lane he decides to tell me how poorly my 4yo behaves and that if he would have told his mom no, he would have gotten "whooped". He says (in front of the check-out lady) that if he(4yo) were his kid, he'd "whoop" him. He wouldn't ever do that because I'm not a spanker, but he gave me shit for not being stern enough with my 4yo. I was embarrassed first of all and then I was scared that the lady would call CPS or something. (People are CPS-happy nowadays) and after we got into the car, I told him not to talk like that in front of people we don't know because they don't know what kind of parents we are and they might think we really throw our kids around. He has no discretion and doesn't know when to censor himself.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM

my husband has mild aspergers and i have that problem a lot. he is always saying things that sound horrible but i guess in his mind they sound ok or he just doesn't realise. I'm sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Bump

aquamom22
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh well

He prolly does need to be "whooped"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I will never do that. 

Quoting aquamom22:

Oh well

SlightlyPerfect
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Good for you. I admire that in a mom.

I can't stand it when people say all a misbehaving kid needs is to be scared of your hand.

Quoting Anonymous:

I will never do that. 

Quoting aquamom22:

Oh well

slightlyperfect

Queen_Bree
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

if some one felt so strongly about how my chiold was acting that they embarrassed me in front of strangers I would take a serious look at how I was raising my child. If someone suggested that I whooped my child I would damn sure take and extra look at my parenting skills... people dotn suggest things like this when kidsare acting apporpriatly. Maybe you should empart some discipline on your child and and see how that works out. Too many parents these days dont discipline thir kids. I spank my kids and I know thats not for every parent but I dont always spank my kids. There are many ways to discipline a child and let them know right from wrong. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I just wouldn't want to ever inflict physical pain on my kids. Period.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Good for you. I admire that in a mom.

I can't stand it when people say all a misbehaving kid needs is to be scared of your hand.

Quoting Anonymous:

I will never do that. 

Quoting aquamom22:

Oh well

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM

good thing he doesnt have any kids of his own

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I agree, but I just think it's normal kid stuff. He disagrees with what I say sometimes(the 4yo) and he argues sometimes. Furthermore, SO was raised with "whoopins" and I was physically abused. I know there's a fine line between abuse and discipline and punishment, but still, the feeling of fear is not something I want my kids to experience because of physical pain.

Quoting Queen_Bree:

if some one felt so strongly about how my chiold was acting that they embarrassed me in front of strangers I would take a serious look at how I was raising my child. If someone suggested that I whooped my child I would damn sure take and extra look at my parenting skills... people dotn suggest things like this when kidsare acting apporpriatly. Maybe you should empart some discipline on your child and and see how that works out. Too many parents these days dont discipline thir kids. I spank my kids and I know thats not for every parent but I dont always spank my kids. There are many ways to discipline a child and let them know right from wrong. 

Queen_Bree
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM

You dont have to cause your kids physical pain or abuse them to discipline. the word discipline comes from the word disciple meaning to teach... no child at age 4 should be arguing with a parent. I have never been told no by my kids at any age or have argued with them... My children have been TAUGHT to respect me. I will hear them out but arguing isnt allowed. It doesnt matter how abused your SO was Im sure he is able to tell when your son is being disrespectful. Though he suggested a whoopin and he was wrong for that, He wasnt wrong for saying what he thinks. he thinks it for a reason. I think you guys should sit down and talk. explain to him that you dont agree with spanking but do agree that he needs discipline and maybe the two of you can come to terms on what discipline is apporpriate. I wish you  the best.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree, but I just think it's normal kid stuff. He disagrees with what I say sometimes(the 4yo) and he argues sometimes. Furthermore, SO was raised with "whoopins" and I was physically abused. I know there's a fine line between abuse and discipline and punishment, but still, the feeling of fear is not something I want my kids to experience because of physical pain.

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)