Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please help me eat better

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM
  • 7 Replies

We have a hard time getting good food. It is not that I don't know how to cook, it is mostly the cost of produce and meat that gets me.

Here is what I do already:

I shop for produce in season. Even in season, it is expensive here because I live in Montana. Winter/cold months are especially hard and that is about 6-8 months out of the year.

I do not buy red meat unless it is on sale for DIRT cheap. We mostly live on ground turkey (the cheapest ground meat here) and chicken.

I cannot eat a lot of carbs. Rice makes my Blood sugar SKYROCKET. When I check my blood sugar in the morning, it is usually still high if I ate it for dinner. I avoid it. If we eat pasta, I eat whole grain.

Hardly any processed foods except for the occasional frozen pizza.

We buy frozen veggies most of the time because they are cheaper and I hate the mushiness (is that a word? lol) of canned.

I have tried to coupon, but we do not have a printer so it makes it difficult to get a lot.

my kitchen is TINY. (see THIS post for what I mean.) So I have very little room for bulk storage and making bread in nearly impossible in it. I have a hard time just making a batch of cookies. For messurements, it is 10 ft by 2 1/2 ft of floor space.

We have a very small budget. Help! :)

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM
I coupon, shop sales and what's in season. What about frozen fruits? They do have those. They also have canned. Maybe not AS nutritious as fresh, but better than none.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aka_speezolove
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

I coupon, shop sales and what's in season. What about frozen fruits? They do have those. They also have canned. Maybe not AS nutritious as fresh, but better than none.

Frozen fruits are just about as expensive as fresh here.

Canned ones often contain too much extra sugar. I can get some with no sugar added, but not most.

1FlMom1
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM

i'm not sure if it is true, but I have heard that frozen fruit is the healthiest because it is frozen at the peak of nutrition.  Fresh fruits are often picked when they are still green, but frozen fruits are picked after they have already ripened, then immediately frozen so the nutritional value is highest with frozen fruits.

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

aka_speezolove
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

You are both making me crave a smoothie now lol

Quoting 1FlMom1:

i'm not sure if it is true, but I have heard that frozen fruit is the healthiest because it is frozen at the peak of nutrition.  Fresh fruits are often picked when they are still green, but frozen fruits are picked after they have already ripened, then immediately frozen so the nutritional value is highest with frozen fruits.

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

aka_speezolove
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

bump

aka_speezolove
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)