Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

since october my days are consumed worrying if me or my son will throw up....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies
Emetophobia sucks. I'm such a germaphobe, I hate being around other people in winter because that's when the norovirus is most active....I try to keep my son home as much as possible. I took him rollerskating Friday and I've spent all weekend worrying he's gonna be sick....oye!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Have you talked to a professional about your phobia?  I am sure they can do something to help you be able to live with the phobia and have it stop controlling your life because the way you are living now isn't healthy for you and you son.  A cold or a stomach virus he can get over but a lifetime of anxiety and fear never leaves.  Hugs mama and I hope you can get some help. 

Cafe Amanda
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM

A bout of heat exhaustion (and subsequent puke-fest) the summer before 5th grade left with me a debilitating phobia of vomiting. I was afraid to go to school in the fall, it was that bad. Biofeedback therapy helped tremendously - to the point where I actually haven't even thrown up since then! And that was almost 23 years ago. :P

Surprisingly, when my kids are sick it doesn't trigger the anxiety response that I still feel when I get really nauseated. I'd really suggest looking into biofeedback therapy - it's a straightfoward, non-medical treatment that's highly effective. Living in fear is no way to live. :(

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Yeah I had the stomach virus at 7, 18. I'm 23. I threw up alot when I was pregnant with my son, I had bad reflux...its not the vomit itself its the stomach virus that scares the crap out of me, its so contagious and easily transmitted and i dont want to clean up puke, dh had it last April and he ruined our rug from puking...ugh..

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

A bout of heat exhaustion (and subsequent puke-fest) the summer before 5th grade left with me a debilitating phobia of vomiting. I was afraid to go to school in the fall, it was that bad. Biofeedback therapy helped tremendously - to the point where I actually haven't even thrown up since then! And that was almost 23 years ago. :P

Surprisingly, when my kids are sick it doesn't trigger the anxiety response that I still feel when I get really nauseated. I'd really suggest looking into biofeedback therapy - it's a straightfoward, non-medical treatment that's highly effective. Living in fear is no way to live. :(

Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)