Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm an Epidemiologist, ask me anything...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Well almost anything;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MlkandCookies
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Do you have a professional opinion about vaccines / anti-vax movement?

noel1979
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

okay stupid question, what kind of dr is that.. :)

MlkandCookies
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

They study health/illness patterns in a population

Quoting noel1979:

okay stupid question, what kind of dr is that.. :)

LectioDivina
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Are we all about to get measles?

kaffedrikke
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM
What do you think the next deadly outbreak will be?
MommyAnnaBanana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Do you work for the CDC?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

how old are you? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Can you rid the world of the norovirus, a vaccine...something lol I'm terrified of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM
What will cause the zombie apocalypse?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2012 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a doctor, but I do have an MPH, there are some who do have a Ph.D. and some MDs get their MPH before or after medical school.

I will forever and always be 29, LOL!

I do not work for the CDC, I work in local government, but we partner with the CDC and state government all the time.

The next big outbreak?  Well that's tough...the answer you will often hear is a strain of avian influenza...which of course is a huge concern and possibility.  But something that is being talked about more and more over the last 10 years or so is the emergence of so many multi-drug resistant bacterial diseases....Part of this is due to the over use of antibiotics for such a long time....all it takes is a few resistant cells to remain after treatment and they can proliferate quickly...then you need a stronger more targeted antibiotic.  Hopefully science will keep up with more advanced treatments and people keep up to date on their vaccines.  Novel viruses are also a concern....there is so much in mother nature that we are not aware of...new viruses are discovered from time to time...sometimes they result in mild illness or they can be devastating.  Diseases like Ebola and HIV are relatively 'new' viruses in the human population...they been circulating in the human population for less than 100 years (that we know of).

Vaccine's are a good thing , the small risk is worth it compared to the possible outcome.  Especially for infants under the age of one.  There was a lot of stuff in the media a few years back about Autism being linked to vaccines...it was found that the main 'study' that reported that connection turned out to be inaccurate...full of false information.  It was actually quite a scandal because the study made it through the peer review process (The Lancet).  http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/09/07/p.autism.vaccine.debate/index.html

I'm not sure what will cause the zombie apocalypse...but it doesn't hurt to get prepared!

http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)