Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you feel if...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have a friend who I know barely gets by, some months are behind on bills and they have to play catch up. We have a house about 7 hrs away that we are trying to sell. (transferred for work)  So my friend and her husband have been trying to help us with it. They show it anytime I need them to, he fixes whatever is needed and has been serving as a manager of the house when we had tenents renting it. Well I believe we finally have someone wanting to buy it and I can't seem to thank my friends enough because without them I would have to pay realtor fees to show it. 

So my hubby and I were talking and whever it does sell we would like to do someting really nice for them. I was thinking to give them 1 or 2 grand to let them do what they want with it ( realtor fees would cost us about 9grand ) My hubby brought up the thing... they have one vehicle, 3 kids and it's not the most reliable car. He drives an hr to and from work daily. She stays home but he has to take off or find a ride to work or she has to bring him (so gets the kids up at 4 then has to go back and get him at 5 that afternoon) if any of them have drs apointments ect. 

He wants to buy them a used but nice vehicle. Something about 4500 to 5,000 worth of a car. Somthing with good gas milage, low miles and reliable. 

I;m all for that but I don't want them to be offended. Like "oh so you dont think we can take care of ourselves?" I don't think they wll be that way but they don't have much and are proud of what they have bc he works hard for it. 

So how would you feel if you were my friend? Would you rather money or a nice vehicle? 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Well, I personally would be thrilled either way! But cash is probably more practical.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Money.. That's really nice of you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4FAM67860509
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:22 PM
How much are you planning on spending on a vehicle? If you look around hard enough, you should be able to find a mechanically sound one for about $1500 bucks AND give them some spending money for bills and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allie428
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM
The car, and don't bring up cost to them. I would make sure they understood it was a gift, or payment for the work/favor they did, and not charity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Not sure. DH just brought that up. I guess about 3,000-4,500.

Quoting 4FAM67860509:

How much are you planning on spending on a vehicle? If you look around hard enough, you should be able to find a mechanically sound one for about $1500 bucks AND give them some spending money for bills and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM
I don't think thy realize how muh they are helping us. So I want to show them appreciation.

Quoting Anonymous:

Money.. That's really nice of you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM
You hit the nail on te head. I couldn't think of the word!

Basically yes I don't want it to be as a charity. It's for payment / appreciation.

Quoting Allie428:

The car, and don't bring up cost to them. I would make sure they understood it was a gift, or payment for the work/favor they did, and not charity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beenthere3
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I think taking them car shopping is the good compromise.  I wouldn't want you to just show up with a car because 1)you don't know for sure if they can afford to insure it and 2)you don't want to take the choice of vehicle away from them.  

Yes, this gives them the opportunity to say no to you, and refuse the gift but you could also find out what companies they use for utilities and such and prepay their electric, tv, or cell phone bill, gift cards to the grocery store, and give them some cash. Just a thought. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Yea I'm thinking cash too. DH just brought up the car thing tonight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I personally would be thrilled either way! But cash is probably more practical.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rosa404
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:27 PM
i would give them 10% its good amout they could atleast put a down payment on a car and pay some bills. And its still less that a realitor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)