Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My child is disciplined. we spank, we dont BEAT, we spank. theres a difference between abuse and discipline. People who think they have the room to put in their opinions about it being wrong are the people whos children are running around screaming in wal mart, SLAPPING their own parents, and talking back. my son DOESNT disrespect us or anyone else for that matter. hes well behaved. He does what hes told......... he doesnt need spankings every day. mabey one spanking once a week. all these parents talking about "my child doesnt listen to me, my child slaps me, my child talks back" BLAH BLAH fucking BLAH....... thats because your chid needs a spanking. Thats all i have to say

by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Replies (691-700):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:27 AM
1 mom liked this

i'm sorry to inform you but, sometimes spanking makes some kids more resistent, the reason they're so agressive and out of control in the first place. Let's try getting them screened for mental health and cognitive issues, before just jumping into punishing them over something they may not have any control over. get them tested for sensory disorders, ADHD and Autism/Aspergers before pulling out the spanking routine. So that way you'll know how to handle them better and it will make things slightly easier on parents and children, leaving them with less traumas. I believe spanking can do emotional harm, to certain types of children who have underlying mental or cognitive issues.

Jaybo
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Never said my kids were disrespectful, my kids were never disrespectful and I did not spank. My kids always knew from a very young age that they were respected so they learned respect. I have the most loving kids and Grandkids you could ever know. Why do you get so mad and say awful words ?

Quoting Anonymous:

For the lady that said you don't spank your child when they be disrespectful your crazy as hell I wish my kids would they will get a spanking real quick and I don't give a fuck who don't like it

Why on earth would you wish your children to be disrespectful so you'll be able to spank them?  By law, that's considered premeditated child abuse.  I seriously hope someone in your neighborhood is keeping track of how you're treating your children, as your words alone merit a visit from Child Protection Services.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:29 AM
I agree that each family is different and so is each child, even from the same family. I say we should discipline at our own discretion within reason (non abusive) without scrutiny. Also I think everyone involved in the raising of the child should be on the same page. My husband and I were both raised with different discipline styles so we felt it best to talk things out prior to discipline being needed. We use different forms of discipline including spanking on the rare occasion it is needed. we decided that if a spanking was going to happen, it should be one swat to her butt with our hand. No using other objects or hitting her anywhere but her behind. Our daughter was potty trained by the time she was 22 months. The metod we used strongly suggested no discipline involved, but instead self awareness and consistency. But it may not work for everyone which is why there are several published methods. Our daughter (at 2) is often complimented on her manners and behavior. I find the thing I use the most when she is misbehaving is counting to 3. I never get to 3 lol. I don't think that kids today get enough credit for what they can comprehend when. That has to be the comment I get most often. " she is too young to know any better". these kids get a lot more than we think. For centuries more was expected of kids of all ages and I'm not sure when or why that went away. I think we are the only ones who know individually what our children need to be a functioning member of society in the future, and as such should be the only ones with a say on how to handle them. But you have to know if you are going to put your situation on the internet, people are going to respond. Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one, everyones but yours stinks! Lol I'm kind of down the middle of the road.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:29 AM
I spank.... my husband.

Jaybo
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:38 AM

Quoting patricia67:

This is your own decision ..... I spank too  from when its needed! My girls are great well behaving persons and they normally don't talk back or scream in stores whatever. But their are situations that this happen because it's "normal"  when kids grow up. It's normal that they rebel ..... but as my mum always told me: it's the way they do it, the sound of the music!!!!!!!

It's not "normal" to hit a child just because you think it's "normal" as the child grows up.   It's only considered "normal" when an "abnormal" parent thinks it is.

winterglow
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Wait a minute - you need to hit him every week? Do you expect me to congratulate you because you don't have to hit him every day?  Maybe your "method" isn't working as well as you think it is... Or maybe your standards aren't as high as you imagine?

Get over yourself, lady...

MonicaV1982
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Problem here is that many parents don't understand basic child development, and expect behavior from a child  that is often too advanced for their age. Many incidences are a direct result of a child becoming overwhelmed. For instance, we don't see a trip to a large box store as a big deal. We go in, get what we want, sometimes look around, and we don't have a meltdown. A small child, or a child with a developmental or neurological disability does not have this ability. Their neurological development is not at the level that allows for "rational" thought when they're presented with an amazing amount of stimuli. What we perceive as "no big deal" is for these children. It's important to know why a child is acting up as well. Issues in the home, school, daycare, etc. may be causing an escalation in behavior problems. It's not always a direct result of not getting a coveted item.  Also, research shows that spanking develops the primitive response areas of the brain (located in what is known as the reptilian brain) at the expense of the higher functioning upper brain. Yeah, maybe it "works" now, but it is damaging.

MonicaV1982
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Those parents are taking the lazy way out.

Quoting AerickMomi_MrsD:

Some parents don't know how to discipline their kids without laying hands on them.

that is the only method they know and use it for everything little thing.

MonicaV1982
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:11 AM
1 mom liked this

You're basing your discipline strategy on the behavior of a 10 month old?! It isn't until the preschool years that their neurological development is enough to understand cause and effect. Perhaps you should take a course on child development from the psychology department at your local community college. You could stand to learn a few things about a child's basic development.

Quoting JERRICALANDRY:

i actually wanted to try not spanking my son and just doing timeout but i can see that thats not going to work most likely and he's only 10 n a half months but i will not abuse him...i'll still try to not spank him though but hey if he needs it then im all for it...he'll be lucky cuz my grandma beat us just because she felt like it or for the stupidest of things like one time it was drizzling lightly outside and i came from the bus to the house,my jacket wasnt soaking wet or anything so i put in the closet and she beat my ass for doing that so...pointless right? to this day i try to love her but she makes it difficult and i ty not to hate her but most times i do...i want my kids to respect me, not fear or run over me so if a spanking is needed it will be handed out thank you all and have a wonderful life...

MonicaV1982
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:13 AM
1 mom liked this

You believe stuff written by ignorant sheepherders that has been propogated by men in power to keep women and the poor in line? Wow!

Quoting ILOVEYHUH777:

Spare the rod spoil the child. The Bible say to take a switch from the tree to save there soul from death. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)