Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms who have kids 4+years apart

Posted by   + Show Post

Allow me to pick your brain please

I don't want to get pregnant until I am almost done with my Master's degree.  I had my son at 18, he is now 2, and I won't get my Master's until 22 turning  23, so he will be 4 turning 5.

Whats the age difference like?

Challenges and Benefits?

I want a minimum 3 kids, max 5.  I also want to foster when I am done with my Master's and am settled in a career.

Feel free to ask anything if it helps you out or you are curious.  Thanks

by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Replies (41-50):
Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
You can do it! Plus, with an advanced degree, you'll have more earning power and the chance to give your babies an even better life than they already have!

I think spacing of children is different for each couple, or person, depending on age, personal goals and finances.

There is no right or wrong- just what works best for the family, KWIM?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

we had our own things but it was like

I was 14 and in sports so i needed a cell phone so i can get hold of someone to come get me after practices and meets...

Well since i got a phone my 11 year old sister got one too.

it drive me nuts because whatever i got she got too so it would be fair.

Quoting aschwarz06:

I don't think your parents did anything wrong but I always make sure my kids have their own things. They are all seperate and will live their own life. Just like it drives me nuts when a set of twins is always called the twins and put as a pair and never treated as their own person.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't agree. my sister and I are 3 years apart and it drove us nuts. We had the same toys and all the same colours. I had nothing I could do that was just mine growing up. It was always both of us.

Quoting aschwarz06:

My kids are all 2 years apart give or take a few months. However my sister and i are 5 years apart and i hated it growing up. We had nothing in common until we were grown. A 10 year old and 5 year old have nothing in common and in my case I wanted nothing to do with her she was the annoying little sibling who wanted to do everything I did. The closer they are the more they have in common. We didn't get along until we were 17 and 23. My sister is my best friend now but drove our mom nuts growing up and everyday was a fight. I always said I wanted my kids close together so they could grow up together and be friends. My kids play together and get along well ( with a few fights as siblings will). I have no regrets having them so close.

ColorMeCrazy
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM

My oldest is 9 and my youngest is 3, I LOVE it!! The gap is just awesome, they get along really well. There is rarely if any fighting, my only complaint is that sometimes the youngest likes to get into her sister's "big girl" stuff. My 9 year old likes having a little buddy to teach and play stuff with, she likes to read her stories and paint her nails etc. My youngest likes having a big girl friend :)

mommybug77
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM
I have 4 girls. They are almost 13, 11, 5 and 1 next month. It works well. The older 2 are 20 months apart and fight like crazy most days. They still look after each other. The older ones all love the baby. The last 2 were planned and we enjoy the age span.
Toots789
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM
My kids are 3 years apart so that doesn't help. But my brother and I are 5 years apart. Worked awesome for my family. When I was born he was old enough to help and not get jealous over the attention the new baby received. My second ds was a happy surprise, I wanted to wait until ds1 was older so they could have been the same age difference as my brother and I.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Quoting sarahfire:

My oldest son is 6 and the baby is 10 months....I love the age difference. We planned it that way on purpose.

The older one is big enough to help with the baby a little and help entertain him, and even with the age difference they get along really great. No complaints here.

That's good to know. I hope to start ttc when my dd is 4.
mommybug77
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Quoting aschwarz06:

my younger sisters are 25 and still known as the twins. They take no issue with it. I am the oldest of 4. I am 5 years older than my brother and 10 years older than my sisters. I loved them to death. I missed a part of their childhood due to be married, active duty army and living in Germany for a year. They are 2 of my best friends though and always have been.
bunnywzrd
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM

My daughters are 4.5 years apart. They get along well 90% of the time. My oldest gets tired of playing kids james sometimes and my youngest gets frustrated that she can't do some of the things big sissy can but it's good most of the time.

When my youngest was born my oldest was so good at helping to take care of her. They are really close. Right now they are 9.5 and 5. Well she will be 5 in two weeks.

Me and my brother were 6 years apart and we were very close. Yeah we would fight but you are going to have that no matter how old they are. We are still very close.

I think that you just need to do what you feel is best.

cjwbrock09
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM
My 2 girls are 5 years apart. I also had my first when I was 18 and wanted to wait till I was more stable in life. My 2nd is now one and I love the age difference. It's very convenient and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicndetsmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Mine are 5 years apart, and it was alot easier when dd was in kdg and I was able to get stuff done with do during the day. They fight some now, but miss each other when they are apart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN