Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Bipolar Kids"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

A person can have the symptoms of being bipolar and it have nothing to do with whats actually going on especially if they have been through trauma.

The drugs they give to bipolar people   are bad, really bad. They don't even understand how they work. Kids brains are still growing and those drugs can really mess things up. Undeveloped brains can have issues that they will grow out of as kids grow and kids balance out, drugs can screw this up and ruin a good brain. Give the kid a chance to balance out and time to grow. 

Adults with mental illness  brains are not growing, they have already done so and things didn't balance out, they need help and they need the drugs. 

Not to mention the havoc the drugs play on the liver and the rest of the body.  

Lots of these drugs burn the liver away! The side effects of these drugs are awful and it is a tragedy when an adult has to depend on them to function, its just about criminal to put that crap into a undeveloped brain. 

(you know how lots of so called crazy kids have tics (the twitch, blink a lot, repetitive movements) that's a side effect of some very very powerful drugs and it is something that can be permanent.  (Some kids have tics naturally and its a whole disorder that needs treatment on its own, I'm not talking about that I am talking about drug induced tics.) 

I hate when a see a kids who they say has bi-polar, adhd, or schizophrenia that have tics and hear people think the tics are proof of the child has the mental illness, it's not the illness, it's a side effect ot the drugs, the drugs damage kids! 

Someone I love dearly is bipolar and I know all that they go through, liver testing and blood test, they pretty much know that the drugs they take to stay sane will one day burn out their liver. I am so happy they have the treatment that is keeping them sane, I wish it were a better treatment though. But this person is an adult, they know the risk of the medication and their brain is fully developed. 

Please please please if someone says your child is Bi-Polar ect.. get  more opinions, seconds thirds fourths fifths. 

If you have had many doctors come to the same diagnoses please look for and try  treatments that don't involve drugs. 

Just venting, these drugs are not fix all they ruin kids bodies and brains (tics and much much much worse.)  Kids brains are not adult brains, they cannot not be treated the same and need to be let alone to grow. 

EDIT 

My points were 

Get many opinions about your child's diagnoses.

Try counseling and non drug treatment methods first. 

That kids brains are still growing and the longer you can hold off mind altering drugs the better. 

Drugs should be a last resort because they are harmful. 

And that I understand even though the drugs are harmful sometimes that harm is better then the cost of not having them

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ElitestJen
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Liver/blood tests are for Lithium or Depakote.  There are safer mood stabilizers. 

And no, a mentally ill adult still doesn't "understand" the risks or benefits.  Non-compliance is a real problem.

Please, don't lecture unless you know what you're talking about.  If you've never lived with a mentally ill kid or adult, you have no idea what we're dealing with.  Oh, and there aren't treatments that don't include drugs.  Mental illness is just like any other chronic condition (i.e. diabetes, etc.).  They have a serious chemical imbalance.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I know and have lived with so null point. 

There are treatments for ADHD that don't use drugs and even new ones for what they are calling Bi-polar kids so null point again. 

I Personally know mentally ill adults who are stabilized , all of them understand the risk and benefits of the drugs they take, their mentally ill not stupid. 

Non-compliance is a real problem but it has a lot more to do with a health care system that can't handle the mentally ill population. To many people with mental illness can't function without treatment, they need treatment to function, they can't get treatment because they don't work and don't have insurance and they can't work because they can't function.

I worked at a lo cost treatment facility most the patients I see who struggle with compliance do so because of the very limited resources to treat them. 

The Doctors I worked with volunteered their time or worked for next to nothing, the drugs they gave out were given out for free and funded federally/through donations.  

By the time people made it to our clinic they were so far gone do to medical neglect and self medicating it was a was a real fight to stabilize them much less helping them function to the best of their ability

There were more patients then hours in the day and people to help them, the medical access for the mentally ill population is a damn shame. 

I will be the first to fight for mental illness being like any other medical issues so null point again. 

Quoting ElitestJen:

Liver/blood tests are for Lithium or Depakote.  There are safer mood stabilizers. 

And no, a mentally ill adult still doesn't "understand" the risks or benefits.  Non-compliance is a real problem.

Please, don't lecture unless you know what you're talking about.  If you've never lived with a mentally ill kid or adult, you have no idea what we're dealing with.  Oh, and there aren't treatments that don't include drugs.  Mental illness is just like any other chronic condition (i.e. diabetes, etc.).  They have a serious chemical imbalance.   

ElitestJen
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

There are treatment for ADHD that don't use drugs and even new ones for what they are calling Bi-polar kids so null point again. 

I Personally know mentally ill adults who are stabilized , all of them understand the risk and benefits of the drugs they take, their mentally ill not stupid. 

Non-compliance is a real problem but it has a lot more to do with a health care system that can't handle the mentally ill population. To many people with mental illness can't function without treatment, they need treatment to function, they can't get treatment because they don't work and don't have insurance and they can't work because they can't function.

I worked at a lo cost treatment facility most the patients I see who struggle with compliance do so because of the very limited resources to treat them. 

The Doctors I worked with volunteered their time or worked for next to nothing, the drugs they gave out were given out for free and funded federally/through donations.  

By the time people made it to our clinic they were so far gone do to medical neglect and self medicating it was a was a real fight to stabilize them much less helping them function to the best of their ability

There were more patients then hours in the day and people to help them, the medical access for the mentally ill population is a damn shame. 

I will be the first to fight for mental illness being like any other medical issues so null point again.

What are these non-drug treatments?  Biofeedback - ineffective.  ECT - extremely dangerous and marginal success. Therapy - not supposed to be a whole treatment, but part of a plan. 

And no, non-compliance has to do with the impulsivity of the mentally ill and the side effects of the drugs.  They don't think they're sick!  Warped perception is a huge part of mental illness.  They have an altered sense of normal.  If you've always known something to be this way - that is "normal."

For you to sit there and say medical access for mentally ill is shameful and then further try to cripple them by telling people the drugs are horrible.....is baffling to me.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Also.. 

You need to re-read what I wrote, your reading comprehension is poor, I never once implied ADULTS with mental illness were not suffering a real disorder similar to other chronic conditions. In fact the only think I really said about adults was they the did have real issues and that their brains were fully developed and they needed the drugs that treat their illness, I also said I wish the treatments were better and didn't take such a toll on their bodies. 

Quoting ElitestJen:

ElitestJen
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Also.. 

You need to re-read what I wrote, your reading comprehension is poor, I never once implied ADULTS with mental illness were not suffering a real disorder similar to other chronic conditions. In fact the only think I really said about adults was they the did have real issues and that their brains were fully developed and they needed the drugs that treat their illness, I also said I wish the treatments were better and didn't take such a toll on their bodies.

Oooh...so only Adults can be mentally ill.  Even though its something people are born with and frequently activated by puberty, only adults can actually be sick.  Kids are just.....not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM

It is shameful that you imply medical access is not a factor in the problem! 

I am saying adults and kids need to be treated differently, you have two different brian's you are working with and different risk and consequences. 

Saying drugs should be a last resort in a undeveloped brain is not saying that any drug use is wrong in all cases.

Acknowledging physical  cost a mental illness takes (some caused by th drugs that are need to treat it) is not telling people not to take the drugs they need to function.  

Non-compliance is a support issue, patients who are well supported and cared for are much less likely to go off their meds. There is not enough support so non-compliance is a huge issue.  

I regularly volunteer with out reach groups in my area who try to help homeless mental ill people get treatment and I have worked in facilities that work to do that. I have seen the cycle first hand and have watched people go through it over and over.  IT IS A SUPPORT ISSUE.  Treatment is drugs AND counseling. 

Your figting me on points I didn't even make. 

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

There are treatment for ADHD that don't use drugs and even new ones for what they are calling Bi-polar kids so null point again. 

What are these non-drug treatments?  Biofeedback - ineffective.  ECT - extremely dangerous and marginal success. Therapy - not supposed to be a whole treatment, but part of a plan. 

And no, non-compliance has to do with the impulsivity of the mentally ill and the side effects of the drugs.  They don't think they're sick!  Warped perception is a huge part of mental illness.  They have an altered sense of normal.  If you've always known something to be this way - that is "normal."

For you to sit there and say medical access for mentally ill is shameful and then further try to cripple them by telling people the drugs are horrible.....is baffling to me.   

Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM

My son has autism and possibly ADHD (it's too young to dx the ADHD part). At this point, I have chosen not to put him on meds, and his dcotors agree with me. We're going to try other strategies to help him cope with his short attention span before we go the medication route.

The reasons for this are his age- he's only 4 and, yes, these drugs can have serious side effects like loss of appetite, thereby sunting growth and yes, messing with the brain chemistry- some kids do develop tics and so on.

However, in the future, we are not ruling out meds as a possible part of his treatment plan.

I think until you have a child with a disorder that might require medication, it isn't fair to judge parents who choose to medicate their children. Usually it's a last resort and it's certainly not anything a responsible parent would take lightly.

I guess, OP, I don't really see your point. Are you saying that NO children should ever be prescribed these drugs? Some of these meds are like miracle workers for some kids. We would all like some holistic, natural, "hippie-dippy" way to treat our bi polar or ADHD kids, but there really isn't much out there that is proven by the FDA that works. A parent can try, of course, but unfortunately, sometimes actual medication is the only thing that works.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I JUST SAID ADULTS AND KIDS ARE NOT THE SAME, DRUGS HAVE A HEAVIER TOLL ON CHILDREN AND SHOULD BE AVOIDED WHEN POSSABLE. 

You have two different brains you are working with and to different set of risk. KIDS CAN AND DO get better with just counseling, drugs should be a last resort and held off for a long as you can. 

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Also.. 

Oooh...so only Adults can be mentally ill.  Even though its something people are born with and frequently activated by puberty, only adults can actually be sick.  Kids are just.....not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM

No, that meds should be a last resort after other methods have failed and not the go to treatment. Thats all. 

Quoting Leobaby2007:

My son has autism and possibly ADHD (it's too young to dx the ADHD part). At this point, I have chosen not to put him on meds, and his dcotors agree with me. We're going to try other strategies to help him cope with his short attention span before we go the medication route.

The reasons for this are his age- he's only 4 and, yes, these drugs can have serious side effects like loss of appetite, thereby sunting growth and yes, messing with the brain chemistry- some kids do develop tics and so on.

However, in the future, we are not ruling out meds as a possible part of his treatment plan.

I think until you have a child with a disorder that might require medication, it isn't fair to judge parents who choose to medicate their children. Usually it's a last resort and it's certainly not anything a responsible parent would take lightly.

I guess, OP, I don't really see your point. Are you saying that NO children should ever be prescribed these drugs? Some of these meds are like miracle workers for some kids. We would all like some holistic, natural, "hippie-dippy" way to treat our bi polar or ADHD kids, but there really isn't much out there that is proven by the FDA that works. A parent can try, of course, but unfortunately, sometimes actual medication is the only thing that works.

ElitestJen
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

It is shameful that you imply medical access is not a factor in the problem! 

I am saying adults and kids need to be treated differently, you have two different brian's you are working with and different risk and consequences. 

Saying drugs should be a last resort in a undeveloped brain is not saying that any drug use is wrong in all cases.

Acknowledging physical  cost a mental illness takes (some caused by th drugs that are need to treat it) is not telling people not to take the drugs they need to function.  

Non-compliance is a support issue, patients who are well supported and cared for are much less likely to go off their meds. There is not enough support so non-compliance is a huge issue.  

I regularly volunteer with out reach groups in my area who try to help homeless mental ill people get treatment and I have worked in facilities that work to do that. I have seen the cycle first hand and have watched people go through it over and over.  IT IS A SUPPORT ISSUE.  Treatment is drugs AND counseling. 

Your figting me on points I didn't even make.

I also work with mentally ill folks (of ALL ages) and their families.  They have support!  They don't like it and bail.  They don't think they're sick.  They don't want to do the things they need to do.  While its true that there are a lot of mentally ill homeless, to assume they have no support is short-sighted and ridiculous. Most of them have families that would bend over backwards for them. 

They stop taking their meds.  They flake on therapy/doctor's appointments.  They refuse treatment.  They run away.  Many times, they're abusive - if not physically, certainly emotionally. 

They do self-medicate...often!  That makes their judgment even worse. 

Its appalling to me that you believe most of the mentally ill have no support.  They DO!  Because of their mental illness, their perception is that they don't. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN