Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Bipolar Kids"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

A person can have the symptoms of being bipolar and it have nothing to do with whats actually going on especially if they have been through trauma.

The drugs they give to bipolar people   are bad, really bad. They don't even understand how they work. Kids brains are still growing and those drugs can really mess things up. Undeveloped brains can have issues that they will grow out of as kids grow and kids balance out, drugs can screw this up and ruin a good brain. Give the kid a chance to balance out and time to grow. 

Adults with mental illness  brains are not growing, they have already done so and things didn't balance out, they need help and they need the drugs. 

Not to mention the havoc the drugs play on the liver and the rest of the body.  

Lots of these drugs burn the liver away! The side effects of these drugs are awful and it is a tragedy when an adult has to depend on them to function, its just about criminal to put that crap into a undeveloped brain. 

(you know how lots of so called crazy kids have tics (the twitch, blink a lot, repetitive movements) that's a side effect of some very very powerful drugs and it is something that can be permanent.  (Some kids have tics naturally and its a whole disorder that needs treatment on its own, I'm not talking about that I am talking about drug induced tics.) 

I hate when a see a kids who they say has bi-polar, adhd, or schizophrenia that have tics and hear people think the tics are proof of the child has the mental illness, it's not the illness, it's a side effect ot the drugs, the drugs damage kids! 

Someone I love dearly is bipolar and I know all that they go through, liver testing and blood test, they pretty much know that the drugs they take to stay sane will one day burn out their liver. I am so happy they have the treatment that is keeping them sane, I wish it were a better treatment though. But this person is an adult, they know the risk of the medication and their brain is fully developed. 

Please please please if someone says your child is Bi-Polar ect.. get  more opinions, seconds thirds fourths fifths. 

If you have had many doctors come to the same diagnoses please look for and try  treatments that don't involve drugs. 

Just venting, these drugs are not fix all they ruin kids bodies and brains (tics and much much much worse.)  Kids brains are not adult brains, they cannot not be treated the same and need to be let alone to grow. 

EDIT 

My points were 

Get many opinions about your child's diagnoses.

Try counseling and non drug treatment methods first. 

That kids brains are still growing and the longer you can hold off mind altering drugs the better. 

Drugs should be a last resort because they are harmful. 

And that I understand even though the drugs are harmful sometimes that harm is better then the cost of not having them

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Replies (31-38):
Queen_Bree
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Wow .. yeah, he probably needed something... I dont knock meds like I said. I just dont think they are for me... I used to take them and it felt like everything was in black and white. I had no creativity and rarely laughed. I felt monotoned. nothing made me happy or sad I just felt very blank all the time.. That didnt work for me. 

Quoting Sheryllinn:

my husband takes bipolar meds. and he was always scared to be zombied out, so he refused meds. when i finally got him on them. after 2 months he said he finallg feels like hes living. as if hes been asleep for years and isnt living under a dark cloud of anger and violence. he prob couldve used meds as a kid since he used to beat his sisters heads into the floor and hit them with bats

Quoting Queen_Bree:

I am bi polar and so is my daughter. We don't take meds. I give my daughter extra attention and affection. We talk A LOT and when she is down I get her involved in physical activity. When she is up I give her Valerian root and melatonin.. ( same for me) There are many natural ways to counteract the symptoms but if you don't start from the beginning then it is hard to go to the alternatives after having taken RX meds. I haven't taken meds in over 10 years its isnt always a cake walk.. but id rather be myself than a medicated zombie and shell of the person I am. I don't knock Rx meds but I realize they aren't for me. 

Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I also worry about the "zombie effect" some people have described re: medications of this sort. My son has this sparkle in his eye and is so giggly and happy- I would HATE to see that disappear as a result of medication, but as a last resort, YES, I would medicate him. If other parents choose not to medicate their children, I also completely respect and understand that decision. It's personal and their decision to make- not anyone else's.

lorelei10
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I am diagnosed bipolar but i have been living drug free for over a year and i have been successful. I had to make a LOT of sacrifices and lifestyle changes, but i have done it. 

(I am christian and i believe that God has played a huge part in my stability but i know not everyone agrees with me so pls no bashing, i just wanted to give credit where I think that it is due :P)

but my illness ruined my life and almost cost me my marriage and everything good in my life. When i went on meds i was even more miserable and the side effects were TERRIBLE. I couldnt urinate, i was shaky, i was constantly sick. I tried almost everything out there from lithium to carbamazapine to zyprexa and not ONE of them made me REALLY feel better... sure i wasnt "crazy" anymore, but i was sick and depressed and i couldnt drive or do anything really. The drugs increased my anxiety so i needed to start taking lorazepam on top of the other drugs.... i had issues sleeping so they prescribed me trazodone... as the meds added up i felt that i had even less of my sanity and well being than i did beforehand. 

In my case i felt that i should do what i can to combat my issues without drugs and i was successful. This isnt for everyone but i know firsthand what those drugs can do to you and the outcome isnt like the commercials... SOme people it helps more than hurts and its up to them how they want to treat it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I really liked what you had to say here. :) 

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Wow .. yeah, he probably needed something... I dont knock meds like I said. I just dont think they are for me... I used to take them and it felt like everything was in black and white. I had no creativity and rarely laughed. I felt monotoned. nothing made me happy or sad I just felt very blank all the time.. That didnt work for me. 

Quoting Sheryllinn:

my husband takes bipolar meds. and he was always scared to be zombied out, so he refused meds. when i finally got him on them. after 2 months he said he finallg feels like hes living. as if hes been asleep for years and isnt living under a dark cloud of anger and violence. he prob couldve used meds as a kid since he used to beat his sisters heads into the floor and hit them with bats

Quoting Queen_Bree:

I am bi polar and so is my daughter. We don't take meds. I give my daughter extra attention and affection. We talk A LOT and when she is down I get her involved in physical activity. When she is up I give her Valerian root and melatonin.. ( same for me) There are many natural ways to counteract the symptoms but if you don't start from the beginning then it is hard to go to the alternatives after having taken RX meds. I haven't taken meds in over 10 years its isnt always a cake walk.. but id rather be myself than a medicated zombie and shell of the person I am. I don't knock Rx meds but I realize they aren't for me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I hope he gets better. I know its hard choices, and there's a lot out there. Good luck. 

I want to emphasise I wasn't judging parents who use meds, just warning that drugs come with very high risk and there is so much medical science doesn't understand about them particularly in a developing brain and that if used it should be a very last extreme resort. 

This whole post was made just after I got off the the phone with my SIL who just had her son put on Adderall, she had to go to SIX docotors before she found one that did what she wanted and gave her the script, I figure if FIVE doctors say no he's fine, then ONE doctor is making an easy dollar. 

Quoting Leobaby2007:

I also worry about the "zombie effect" some people have described re: medications of this sort. My son has this sparkle in his eye and is so giggly and happy- I would HATE to see that disappear as a result of medication, but as a last resort, YES, I would medicate him. If other parents choose not to medicate their children, I also completely respect and understand that decision. It's personal and their decision to make- not anyone else's.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:50 PM

BE very careful, untreated Bi-Polar can be way worse than the treatment. I was refering to kids on meds, not adults. I hope the best for you. 

Quoting lorelei10:

I am diagnosed bipolar but i have been living drug free for over a year and i have been successful. I had to make a LOT of sacrifices and lifestyle changes, but i have done it. 

(I am christian and i believe that God has played a huge part in my stability but i know not everyone agrees with me so pls no bashing, i just wanted to give credit where I think that it is due :P)

but my illness ruined my life and almost cost me my marriage and everything good in my life. When i went on meds i was even more miserable and the side effects were TERRIBLE. I couldnt urinate, i was shaky, i was constantly sick. I tried almost everything out there from lithium to carbamazapine to zyprexa and not ONE of them made me REALLY feel better... sure i wasnt "crazy" anymore, but i was sick and depressed and i couldnt drive or do anything really. The drugs increased my anxiety so i needed to start taking lorazepam on top of the other drugs.... i had issues sleeping so they prescribed me trazodone... as the meds added up i felt that i had even less of my sanity and well being than i did beforehand. 

In my case i felt that i should do what i can to combat my issues without drugs and i was successful. This isnt for everyone but i know firsthand what those drugs can do to you and the outcome isnt like the commercials... SOme people it helps more than hurts and its up to them how they want to treat it.

lorelei10
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Yes i know it can be. But i have taken many precautions. Im also pregnant and avoiding meds for that too... my husband has been so supportive and he helps keep me in check.  Its a fight, but its one worth fighting. thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

BE very careful, untreated Bi-Polar can be way worse than the treatment. I was refering to kids on meds, not adults. I hope the best for you. 

Quoting lorelei10:

Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I hope he gets better. I know its hard choices, and there's a lot out there. Good luck. 

I want to emphasise I wasn't judging parents who use meds, just warning that drugs come with very high risk and there is so much medical science doesn't understand about them particularly in a developing brain and that if used it should be a very last extreme resort. 

This whole post was made just after I got off the the phone with my SIL who just had her son put on Adderall, she had to go to SIX docotors before she found one that did what she wanted and gave her the script, I figure if FIVE doctors say no he's fine, then ONE doctor is making an easy dollar. 

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Oh, ITA that Adderall and other drugs like it can have serious side effects and the decision to use them on children should NOT be taken lightly. Basically it's pure, pharma grade speed. Not many doctors will give it out and that's why your SIL had to go to SIX to get the Rx. I hope it does the trick for her child. Unfortunately, people "doctor hop" all the time and eventually you'll find one that will give you the script. Psychiatrists are FAMOUS for wanting to immediately put children on drugs without looking into other options first. (Not all psychs, but many are this way).

One wanted to put my son on something called Resperdal this past summer (he wasn't even 4 years old yet). I took the script, went home, researched the medication and the side effects, decided there was no way I was putting my son on that particular medication and shredded the prescription. I never went back to that doctor. Quite frankly I was shocked he was so nonchalant about handing me a prescription for such a potent drug that has so many side effects for a child who is not schizophrenic or bi-polar! It was the first (and only) time he saw him!

Now, maybe for other kids, even young ones, that might be the answer, but for my son I knew it wasn't the right thing.

It's true- for moms with kids who have special needs, there A LOT of difficult decisions to make and we just do the best we can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured