Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you feel about meeting new people?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
Do you mind meeting you SO family and friends?
I'm curious how others feel about it.
I don't mind meeting Dh's friends and family but I've noticed a lot of people do. My dh's cousin just came to visit after traveling about 1700 miles and his gf doesnt want to come over to our house. She has kids which we thought was great our dd was excited to meet them and play with them but she claims she's worried about our activities being kid friendly. We have kids so everything we do is kids friendly. Just not sure why if they come this far she's not willing to meet his family?
I have a friend who is similar but she says she's insecure around new people and tends to be shy.
How do you feel about it. And if you don't like to why? Just curious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
manderator
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM

New people annoy me... it's that whole awkward beginning a convo thing.  But it doesn't keep me from meeting people. 

Colleen86
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I am shy too..a little akward as well. but I wouldn't put myself and my dh in an even more awkward and embaressing position and not attend.

Colleen86
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:31 PM

also it's kind of rude too

Aislinn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I am a fan of meeting new people... I am very chatty and will talk to anyone, so it is easy to engage strangers. My husband, on the other hand, can be a little shy, but once he warms up, you cannot shut him up. Especially if you add a little alcohol. lol

DejaVooDoo
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I used to have a huge fear of people because well... people can be assholes. Eventually over time, I realised no one can help being who they are (including myself of course); and that everyone is human. Therefore I have learnt to "not give a fuck" what people think, I just contribute. If people don't like what I say, that is perfectly ok - It is natural that not everyone is going to like me, and I'm not going to necessarily like everyone else either.

I can still be insecure around people. But I am more insecure around other insecure people. If you are shy and don't contribute, or you are scared about talking to other people and what they think; I have a habit of keeping my distance. I used to be like that, and I just do not want to go back to that place again.

I had no problems meeting my SO's family. For years I was terrified of them, because I never knew what to say. After a lot of hiccups and fighting, I can say that many of us don't like each other. But nowadays I don't care. It isn't like I have to live with them. I just say hello, mingle a bit and leave it at that. 

luvcloudydays
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:37 PM
I was a little nervous meeting my dh's family, but we ended up acting like i had been apart of the family for years :)

With other people it's different...

No joke, i usually try to throw out a joke as soon as i can, after all the formalities. It's usually a wity response to something. If they laugh sincerely, we are good to go. If the room is quiet, I'll make up some bullshit excuse to leave.
Which is what I'm doing today at some Navy wife party thing. I hate women, so i'm just a little nervous tbh.
cbk_mom3
by JayTayGma on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I tend to be pretty shy at first. I'm an only child, so that makes me kinda awkward around new people, but once I get to know them, I'm usually okay.

Cubanmom84
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I don't socialize very well... like i feel stupid.. like in a play ground, what do i do? do i go up to someone and  ask them to be my friend?? i just don't know how it works really... i was never really allowed to have friends so i did not bother making any most of the time... is just awkawrd for me.. and now, my son has autism and not everyone knows how to deal with it, so its uncomfortable..

cbk_mom3
by JayTayGma on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Quoting Aislinn:

I am a fan of meeting new people... I am very chatty and will talk to anyone, so it is easy to engage strangers. My husband, on the other hand, can be a little shy, but once he warms up, you cannot shut him up. Especially if you add a little alcohol. lol

My mom and my daughter are both just like you. Just never meets a stranger. My mom will strike up conversations with people while we are in line at the store, eating, anywhere, she's just that way. I guess it's great, really. She's made some very good friends that way. Wish I could be more like her on that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)