Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a horribly selfish mother for only wanting one child apparently.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 163 Replies
1 mom liked this
My DF and I have one child, a 10 month old boy. My DF's family keeps asking me when we will have more. I always say the same thing. We probably won't. We are financially okay with having one child and it's what we can afford. I don't want more children if I don't have the means to care for them. They are telling me I am selfish and terrible and that my son with grow up shy and be a bad kid. Am I a shitty mom for only wanting one child?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spreadmywings
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this
FUCK them, its your choice. Period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lanie_momofone
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM
3 moms liked this

You are not selfish ...you are SMART.

You know that you can only financially afford just the one child at the moment ...so its smart thinking to acknowledge that.

Personally i think they are thinking selfish...and not thinking of just what it takes to raise a child.

I have one daughter , she is 9 ...i love her to death ...but im not going to be having anymore lol.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't listen to them. It is whatever you and your spouse are comfortable with.

I will say that our decision to have two children was because I grew up as an only child and was very lonely. I had wished I had a sibling close to my age to grow up with. All my siblings were grown and out of the house before I came along.

wrldovcare
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Ditto.

Quoting spreadmywings:

FUCK them, its your choice. Period.

twisted_charlie
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Some of my family is the same way. Let it roll off your back. I've got one child and I kinda laugh at the part where they tell you he's gonna be shy. My 2 year old is the most social little thing and loves talking to everyone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Tell them if they want another baby in the family to go adopt and pay for it themselves! I only wanted one after I had dd. It took 6 years until I wanted another one. Don't let them make you feel bad for not wanting another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cubanmom84
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Wtf?? you can't please them all... if you have too many kids and can't financially support them ppl will talk shit anyways. You are the doing the right thing for you and your family, everyone else can butt out.

LilyFlair
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM

My son is 6. And I use to want a lot. but realized over the last few years I only want him. He is enough for me. And in this economy I cant really afford more. Its too late and am expecting But I just wanted one. So Im getting my tubes tied after this one.

And its YOIR choice to heck with anyone giving you slack they can suck an egg

Allie_kat1
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM
I don't think your selfish, and obviously the choice is up to you and your husband. However, I did grow up as an only child, and I would have much rather have had a sibling over more toys and better clothes. I was lonely a lot, and sometimes jealous of my friends with close siblings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillianmayasmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this. We have one now but have always said we will have two because both of our fathers grew up as only children and, my father at least, has always told me he wishes he had siblings. It was very hard when his parents were older and sick to not have siblings to help with them.

However, I also agree that only wanting one doesn't make you selfish. Only having one because you can only afford one, makes you responsible.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Don't listen to them. It is whatever you and your spouse are comfortable with.

I will say that our decision to have two children was because I grew up as an only child and was very lonely. I had wished I had a sibling close to my age to grow up with. All my siblings were grown and out of the house before I came along.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN