Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a horribly selfish mother for only wanting one child apparently.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My DF and I have one child, a 10 month old boy. My DF's family keeps asking me when we will have more. I always say the same thing. We probably won't. We are financially okay with having one child and it's what we can afford. I don't want more children if I don't have the means to care for them. They are telling me I am selfish and terrible and that my son with grow up shy and be a bad kid. Am I a shitty mom for only wanting one child?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Replies (161-163):
lindilouwho82
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Quoting Mom2Just1:

My son is almost 6 years old and prefers being an only child.  My best friend is an only child and loves it.  Her son is an only child and loves it.  I know many only children and they all love it.  

Me: i had 3 siblings.  It would have been nice to be an only child. I am not close to any of my siblings.  

Quoting malexander2009:

It is your choice but coming from an only for 15 years...your child might not be happy with it...I hated being an only child...now granted not all children hate being an only child, but most do.

My best friend was an only child and I was always slightly jealous of her because she seemed like she had something with her parents I did not. I know people that have good and bad experiences being only children or children from huge familes. It all depends on how you raise them, love them and encourage them.

You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him.
kikibix
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM

How rude for anyone to say that to you, never mind even ask you if you are having more kids, especially when you have a 10mth old! Gee way to make you feel like a breeding sow good for only one thing.  Next time they ask tell them any discussion about your sex life and your uterus are off limits.  I hate when people only ask about babies, they should be asking about you and what interests you.

Nothing wrong with having only 1 child if that is what you feel is best for your family. 

febmom007
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

ha wow.. the things people could get away with

Quoting Anonymous:

They don't. And I'm by NO means bashing but my SO grew up with his mother not working and father in and out of the picture. Section 8, food stamps and energy assistance is how his mother supported herself and 2 children so she didn't have to pay for anything herself I don't think she quiet understands its expensive!

Quoting febmom007:

that's pathetic.. they obviously have no idea how much it costs to raise children anymore..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN