Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They took our taxes!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So hubby was sent a letter saying he owed $16000 in back child support. Of course I stopped breathing. So to make a long story short, we fought it in court and won. The court declared we did not owe anything back. So I filed our taxes thinking we were safe. I was wrong. Apparently the IRS didn't get the memo and sent our return to her. The only recourse we have is to ask her for the money back and hope she gives it, or sue her. I plan wholeheartedly on taking this to court if it comes to it. I will not ask his permission, I do not care how he feels.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Replies (31-34):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Yeah the court systems work for the criminal....Its not right.

Quoting Anonymous:

i wouldnt give it back either! nad i hope that the BM fights her like hell in court- and wins! i feel like if back support can be "forgiven", then any debt that the BM takes on b/c of the child- should be forgiven as well. all my credit card were all used towards my kid, from diapers, formula, food, clothes and when needed, new carseats, a used toddler bed, etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry but if he owes it then BM deserves it. I wouldnt give it back....he should be taking care of his kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

he probably owed it b/c he never paid.. but he went to court, proved that he couldnt be a man and pay his back support so they let the BACK support go.. meaning, whatever debt that may have accumalated from the mother is basically on her.

when i was working- and my child's dad wasnt paying his court ordered child support, i ended up getting into over $2,000 in debt. not THAT much, but for a single mom- who struggled with less than paycheck to paycheck (ontop of my paycheck, i also had to get money from my dad just to gulp in teh water that was trying to drown me!)... whenever he does get a job, the tax return from his portion will be going towards the debt that i'm STILL trying to pay off.. or he'll be a bitch, like OP'S douche husband, and cry about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

So did he not really owe it or did he owe it and get out of it by going to court?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Small claims court has a limit. Most states it is $5000-$8000. You can't get 16 grand awarded to you in small claims court.

Quoting Anonymous:

@angie729, the two tax attorney's I consulted with said we had to go after her in small claims court to recoup that money. I guess perhaps there is a difference between fraud and just plain error?

Naegore
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM
In the replies she said her Dh proved he didn't owe back support. I understand that y'all live the other side of the spectrum, but you can't judge everyones case off your own. Would you want money to be taken wrongfully from you? If he doesn't owe it, he shouldn't have to pay it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

i wouldnt give it back either! nad i hope that the BM fights her like hell in court- and wins! i feel like if back support can be "forgiven", then any debt that the BM takes on b/c of the child- should be forgiven as well. all my credit card were all used towards my kid, from diapers, formula, food, clothes and when needed, new carseats, a used toddler bed, etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry but if he owes it then BM deserves it. I wouldnt give it back....he should be taking care of his kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

he probably owed it b/c he never paid.. but he went to court, proved that he couldnt be a man and pay his back support so they let the BACK support go.. meaning, whatever debt that may have accumalated from the mother is basically on her.

when i was working- and my child's dad wasnt paying his court ordered child support, i ended up getting into over $2,000 in debt. not THAT much, but for a single mom- who struggled with less than paycheck to paycheck (ontop of my paycheck, i also had to get money from my dad just to gulp in teh water that was trying to drown me!)... whenever he does get a job, the tax return from his portion will be going towards the debt that i'm STILL trying to pay off.. or he'll be a bitch, like OP'S douche husband, and cry about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

So did he not really owe it or did he owe it and get out of it by going to court?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM

If it was an error than thats different....I wouldnt know because she didnt reply to my question. All the OP said in ther post was that he fought it and won...doesnt meant he didnt owe it.

Quoting Naegore:

In the replies she said her Dh proved he didn't owe back support. I understand that y'all live the other side of the spectrum, but you can't judge everyones case off your own. Would you want money to be taken wrongfully from you? If he doesn't owe it, he shouldn't have to pay it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN