Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Very sick dog....I don't want him to die

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM
  • 24 Replies
And I'm not sure what to do about it. I have two four month old chihuahuas. One is sick. When I came home from work, he was just lying on the floor. He is awake but he will not get up. His breathing is labored and he has moaned a few times. Usually he is jumping with excitement when we get home. Today I barely got a tail wag. The one who is not sick is pacing frantically around her brother. They are extremely close. I don't want Rio to die :(

Have you seen anything like this before?
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vbway
by Valerie on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM
I guess you don't always get what you want. I had a friend rush him to the vet. But he died on the way there. My girls are going to be heart broken and so is his sister. My other pup Chiquita has been yelping since rio left. I have never seen two dogs as close as they are. I don't even know what happened, I never will.
midnight_storm
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Was he vaxed? My first thought would be parvovirus if not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Oh no. Take them to the vet, it could have parvo which is highly contagious to the other dog
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vbway
by Valerie on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Yes, vaxed, but he was less than 4 months old.
vbway
by Valerie on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Quoting ambermarie2006:

Oh no. Take them to the vet, it could have parvo which is highly contagious to the other dog

See my post above, he died on the way to the vet.
Ihereainti
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Tak the other to the vet.. Just in case my first thought was he got into something... But parvovirus is another possibility
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennifer_57
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Messaging you..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Aw, I am sorry! I have a chihuahua too. She was very sick a few months after I got her and I had to rush her to the vet. We never did know what was wrong but they were able to save her. Take comfort in the fact that you still have one and that he didn't suffer long. I would check around the house and make sure there's nothing he might have gotten into that could make his sister sick too. It's hard to lose a pet...Been there a couple of times. I'll be thinking and praying for your family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmama721
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM

sounds like parvo get him liquid amoxicillian and gateraide give it to him every hr on the hr in a dropper if he throws up do it again.your vet can not do anything for him if gets through the night he has good chance.then take him for a parvo vacc pronto! gl

Aislinn
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I wonder if it was a bowel obstruction..? Puppies eat things and small dogs are very prone to this.. I am so sorry... (((hugs)))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured