Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Boo hoo, I have cancer, feel bad for me!* (/rant)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 245 Replies

I know it sounds heartless. My grandfather has stage 4 colon cancer. They have done surgeries, treatments, chemo and radiation, and while they are slowing it down, they aren't stopping it. He has to go to chemo every Monday for the rest of his life. He WILL die from his cancer. It has metastasized (sp?) to his lungs, bones, brain, everywhere. Now here is what bugs me.

I call him every couple of weeks to check on him, see how is doing, etc. We don't have an awesome relationship, but I honestly don't want to regret not talking to him when he dies. So I call. He also calls me every Monday during chemo because he is bored and his girlfriend works so can't go with him. So I'll answer the phone, "Hey, Gramps, whats up?" knowing that he is in chemo. And I always get a nasty, poor me, pity-party response. "Oh, you know, just poisoning myself intentionally." or "Sitting in a chair with a needle in my arm. Euthanasia would be better." You know, just stupid shit like that. I understand he is dying, but could he be a little more... sensitive I guess? I don't even know what to say to him half the time. I can't just chuckle and say "Oh yeah, enjoy that poison," you know? He's so frustrating!

Plus he is so heartless, too. He lives 8 hours away, so I don't see him in person very often. His doctor gave him 2 weeks off of chemo in August, so him and his woman went camping. The place they camp is about 2 hours from where I live, and you have to drive through my town to get there. When I was in the hospital after having my baby, they drove RIGHT BY the hospital, which is literally 4 blocks off of the main road, and didn't even stop because his girlfriend "Doesn't know me very well and would be uncomfortable." Nothing like a big FUCK YOU to your granddaughter. He's so frustrating. Then he always posts these "oh, just sitting in chemo, can't wait to puke up my next 4 or 5 meals. hope she doesn't make anything super delicious!" or things like that. Its heartbreaking, but even more so, angering. Like, have some heart for the people around you! His late wife, my grandmother, died of lung cancer back in 2001. So we are all missing her, and here he is, in the same predicament, being this way? He doesn't understand how much it hurts all of us. I wish he would think.

Rant over.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetcherry_59
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:23 PM
39 moms liked this
You sound really insensitive....I have a dear friend dying from cancer and when she complains I listen. It's stupid of you to expect a cancer patient to feel or act how you think they should. You have no clue what he is going through unless you have experienced it first hand. Try and have some compassion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM
4 moms liked this

Wow...I'm not sure what to say. I think if anyone needs to be more sensitive, its you. But, I dunno. Guess this might be one of those "you have to be in type situations" to know how you would feel or act.

Sorry about your grandpa.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Omg wow
arpazia
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Oh dear, oh dear:(
I'm sorry about your grandpa:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmberAustin
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:26 PM
2 moms liked this

You're right... it does sound heartless. As a cancer survivor, chemo is very painful and makes you very ill. I think you should be a little more supportive.

fraujones
by Mommytron on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

People get really mean when they are in pain. Can you blame them? What is worse than dying?

My dad said some horrible things when he was dying from a liver disease. I just think of it as the disease talking. He didn't mean it. 

jcm28
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The guy is going to die? and your pissed because he didnt want to go she your baby. He is dieing do you really want to be pissed at him? I would give anything for my grandfather to be alive right now.

b.futlz
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM
I just lost my poppy to cancer in may......he wad kinda the same way......I miss him do much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Homemaker4Life
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this
You seriously need to check your attitude.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM
3 moms liked this

maybe your grandpa is trying to be funny ? Idk maybe it's his way of dealing with all this stress.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured