Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm an L&D RN! Ask me anything!

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM
  • 133 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ive seen a couple posts and thought they were fun! When people hear what I do they always have tons of questions!
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachelandharper
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh goodbless you. How do you deal with women in labor? Theyre so mean!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RNMel
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Quoting rachelandharper:

Oh goodbless you. How do you deal with women in labor? Theyre so mean!

LOL!! I haven't had too many mean people in labor. And the ones I've had are usually REALLY apologetic afterwards!
mommy2angels427
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I used to work L&D too!  loved it!   worst thing for me was the addicted babies.  Nothing will ever remove those horrifying screams etched in my mind. 

what is the worst part for you?

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Do you have your BSN?  I know a lot of hospitals (at least in Philadelphia and VA) are laying off RNs who don't have a bachelors.

What made you go into L&D?

I am a pain management nurse.

RNMel
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Quoting mommy2angels427:

I used to work L&D too!  loved it!   worst thing for me was the addicted babies.  Nothing will ever remove those horrifying screams etched in my mind. 

Yeah that is always so sad :( we don't see too much of it because usually withdrawals start after 24-48 hrs and the babes are not in our care anymore by then. They are either in the special care nursery or a foster home.

The worst (saddest) part for me are the stillborns/neonatal deaths. :(
RNMel
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Quoting Elyce225:

Do you have your BSN?  I know a lot of hospitals (at least in Philadelphia and VA) are laying off RNs who don't have a bachelors.

I do have my BScN.

I've always wanted to be an L&D nurse. Such a magical moment/occasion to be a part of. I would love to work NICU too, but our city doesn't have one.
AshleySail
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Addicted babies?

Addicted to what?
And because of what their mothers did while pregnant?

Quoting RNMel:

Quoting mommy2angels427:

Yeah that is always so sad :( we don't see too much of it because usually withdrawals start after 24-48 hrs and the babes are not in our care anymore by then. They are either in the special care nursery or a foster home.

The worst (saddest) part for me are the stillborns/neonatal deaths. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pamelam20
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM
I want to go to school to be a RN :) do you make pretty good money?

Also, do you care what a womans vajayjay hair looks like during birth? I remember a post where a nurse got mad because of the hack jobs some women did shaving down there lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Quoting RNMel:

Quoting Elyce225:

I do have my BScN.

I've always wanted to be an L&D nurse. Such a magical moment/occasion to be a part of. I would love to work NICU too, but our city doesn't have one.

I am the opposite, I think birth is disgusting, lol.  

Have you ever thought about furthering your education? 

After being in anesthesia for a while I felt like I wanted more responsibility, do you ever feel like that?  I am in school (4 months left) to become a CRNA, I can not wait.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM
who starts walkin around first usually for u, vaginal birth mamas or c sections?? i ask cuz my nurses were suprized i was up and around 9 hours after my c sec.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)