Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dad was against(opposed to) gay people until......

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Until I started to develop and boys actually started liking me.

He told me to be a lesbian....half joking, mostly not though.

Then I brought home this male friend and he started grilling him.  We were strictly good friends.  That is when my dad actually started liking gay people.  lol  He was convinced that my friend was gay and was happy I found a gay friend to be around instead of a straight guy friend.

ha

My friend finally came out in high school, no shocker.

Anywho, my dad grew up southern baptist from lousiana and arkansas.  Family is strictly religious and will speak openly about their opinions on gays.

When he was 17, he and most of his cousins and all but one sister moved to California. They all fully embrace gays and lesbians.  My cousin is even a Transgendered (male to female) drag queen.  lol

I secretly think they all had open minds but didn't feel free to use them for a while.

Anyway...feel free to share any stories of prejudice family members opening their minds.  

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whoda007
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My Mom hates gay people and thinks that they shouldn't have the right to marry. I say love comes in all shapes and sizes and have no problem with any one getting married. We argue..alot about this. We just have to agree to disagree because she was raised in a very religious strict household. But it still drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

JadedFaerie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:38 AM

My parents do not hate homosexuals, they just disagree with it and believe it to be a choice.

Bit awkward considering I'm bisexual lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:42 AM
Quoting JadedFaerie:

My parents do not hate homosexuals, they just disagree with it and believe it to be a choice.

Yes that would be awkward.  I realize many have strained relationships because of this thinking, do you two have trouble getting along when the topic comes up, if it ever does, or even just in general?

AnastasiaKorsh
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:44 AM
My family has always been really accepting and tolerant of different races, sexualities, religions ect. The only time I remember hearing anything prejudice against anyone was after my grandma got alzheimer's and dementia
AlaizabelsMommy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:45 AM
My mom likes gays. One of her gay friends owns a Cat/dog grooming salon. He's awesome, bought me my first pet lol.
Anyway, no gay bashin' in my family(:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:45 AM
my mom loved her gay neighbors. she just got along with them. they were a male couple and when they told her theu were moving she actually cried. she said "no dont do this to me. now who will i be stuck living next to?" lol and my dad hates gays. he says its un natural and that its gross. whatever i dont hate gay people i have a very good friend who is gay & i love him. we "dated" for a while but it was pure friendship no sex just holdng hands & kissing then he tells ne he has confusing feelings. turns out he is gay but i dont hate him for using me as a cover up because i love him as he is and i feel bad he thought he had to cover up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:45 AM
My father was never really for or against gays, but when he found out I was by bisexual (from my sister in law. She outed me. Long story), he seemed more approving towards them.
MumsTheWord571
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:48 AM
My grandpa is so against homosexuality he disowned his own son. Anyone openly talking to him was also disowned until my grandma passed. His partner isn't allowed at family functions. Not even funerals. Now anyone in my family who is gay or bi do NOT tell anyone but the ones we absolutely trust NOT to tell him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_diva_
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:52 AM
One of my best friends is gay...he is the best i love him. Its his choice to be who he wants to be. As long as he is happy in his life who am i to judge. Anyway thays my two cents lol :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadedFaerie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JadedFaerie:

Yes that would be awkward.  I realize many have strained relationships because of this thinking, do you two have trouble getting along when the topic comes up, if it ever does, or even just in general?

Only when the topic comes up, so we avoid it. In general we get along alright :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)