Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my girl and boy...WWYD?I did some research, I added what I found out....

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:11 AM
  • 151 Replies
3 moms liked this

daughter is 5, son is 2, they just started sharing a bedroom. He's still in a crib, eventually we'd like to get them bunk beds...they love sharing a room. Our house is a 2 bedroom, moving isn't an option right now. Do you think it's ok that they share a room?

After researching (if someone refutes my findings, please link me to where I can find what you have found on the topic), there is NO state that has laws against opposite sex siblings sharing a bedroom...that would violate the Fair Housing Act. So all of you who say to check with CPS on the laws, there are none, not even if the children are teenagers.

As of right now (1:54 EST), I have yet to find ANYTHING (though people keep shooting out "legalities" as if they say itit's true) that supports the claim that it's illegal for a brother and sister to share a bedroom at any age. I keep asking for the link to where you people are getting your information because I can't find it anywhere and so far no one has been able to provide a link to any site, even an unreliable one. Quit saying it's illegal if you have nothing to back that statement up, please....

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Monise78
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I think its ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RhondaVeggie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:15 AM
Check the law in your state. In some places CPS can investigate if the kid's are over a certain age. Otherwise I think it's up to them to a large extent. Figure out how to give them some privacy for dressing and such, maybe dress in the bathroom or put up a screen. Not an issue right now but at some point your daughter will not want to dress in front of her brother and it's better to be preemptive rather than have things get awkward.
jmcneal13
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:16 AM
Its fine. My two sisters and brother shared a room for five years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmcneal13
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM
3 moms liked this
Besides, the bradys did it. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happygolucky106
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I dont see a thing wrong in it whatsoever, withe the economy the way it is who can afford a 2 to 3 bdroom,and if the kids r happy,why ruin that?? good luck mama...

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I see nothing wrong with it. I have 6 brothers and grew up sharing rooms with them until I was 15!! And we didn't have to either!! lol we had plenty of rooms(our dad built our house) but we wanted to, every month we'd switch our "roommates" around. lol... And we never changed in front of each other or anything like that... But I would check dyfs age limitations just in case someone decides to call cuz they can investigate. I think its stupid.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aeonix
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Ds and dd shared a room even when we had three (we moved to a 2 bed place for awhile, back to a 3 bedroom and ds prefers to sleep in the family room, go figure!). It wasn't because we forced them to, they just liked having each other for company. Ds is older than dd, he would do shadow puppet shows and read her stories at night after we put them to bed. They have separate rooms now at 11 and 5 but I'm sure if we let them they'd still love to get bunk beds. I see nothing wrong with it, siblings have to share rooms growing up all over the world, doesn't mean anything nefarious is going on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:05 AM
We hit some hard times and moved in with my MIL to help her and ourselves at the same time. My oldest DD and DS share a room while they're here on the wknds and the little dd sleeps in there during the week and in her grandmas room on the wknds. It works for us.
beerebelly
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

If thats the best you can do then so be it! They will be fine.

Mommyzlovez
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:09 AM

yeah I mean they are so young...I would say until they are pretteens like age 10....before puberty....until then they are just little kids...no biggie,chexk your states child laws  but I think at least for the next three years or so its fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)