• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't really get it....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
So I grew up in a VERY open family and I loved it. I could talk to my mom about anything and she did care what it was. I could talk to my aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, anyone in my family about anything and be completely comfortable. So what I'm getting at is I guess don't get how people have such hard times talking to their kids and family about private thing because that my how I was raised. I'm not trying to sound ignorant or anything I just don't really get how its so hard to be a mom and have to give the sex talk to your son. Or why kids don't talk to their family about personal things.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
whoda007
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

The easy answer is you got lucky!

mommasbabies77
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:33 AM
You answered your own question in your post. You grew up in a very open and healthy family where those things were talked about...of course it's easier for you. When you come from a different background..you are taught that those things aren't to be talked about or as in my case taught to be ashamed or taught by having your caretakers force themselves on you..it affects you even into adult life. As far as being a mom..I've never had one so what I learned..I did by myself. You can't follow lead if you don't have a lead to follow. Everything I've done as a parent has been the complete opposite of what I was raised. Going against the grain..is hard. I do talk to my kids about hard things and they know they can but it will never be easy for me..ever. And I don't understand how it can be for you. See how that works?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:36 AM

You got very lucky. Not all families are like this, and usually it's a multi-generational defect. If your parents can't talk to you about sex, it's probably because their parents couldn't talk to them about sex. The further back you go, the better the chances are that the relatives conider sex to be an EXTREMELY private thing, never talked about no matter what. So to have an open family is a very rare, cherished thing.

My mom is open with me, and I fuckin hate it. She's open to the point of it being embarrassing. She did well with explaining things when I was a kid and teenager, but now I'm an adult and I don't want or need advice in that department.

xomrsweaver
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I dont get it either. I come from a very open family and i definitely prefer it that way. 

My husbands family is different and I'm always so surprised by certain ways they act(I'm glad he isn't like that)....but I guess everyone grows up differently. To each their own. 

hellokittyy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:38 AM

my mom is pretty old school.

i wanted to talk to her about sex things i guess

but i never wanted her to be mat at me.

SOCO101
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I was like that with my mom. I remeber her telling me, when you feel like you're ready (for sex) let me know. When I did, she took me to get bc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)