• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confused about FS....EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies
EDIT: For those who cant read.....last time I recieved FS was 10 YEARS AGO! Lol!

Ok, when I left my abusive ex and went on FS we got shit! For a family of 3 I dont think we got more than $300 a month. Now it was 10 yrs ago and I was working

BUT STILL! I see people saying they get outrages amounts of FS! Well "we have a family of 5...blah blah blah" Really? It cost your family $1,000 a month to eat?
I have a family of 4. Thats with two teens! AND I do daycare in the home! Thats 5 extra mouthes to feed! And I dont spend that much.

Don't tell me its hard to eat healthy when you are on food stamps!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Oh...and we eat healthy. Dont get me wrong. Im very OCD when it comes to that! Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:48 AM
I am on fs and want my family to eat as healthy as possible. So I buy a lot (mostly) fresh/organic foods. Its extremely expensive to eat healthy. We used to receive $680 for a family of five, they have since reduced us to $380 (due to working) and its gotten hard.
JMom11
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this
I dont know but grocery prices are really going up. My grocery budget seems to go faster every month.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Do you work?

Quoting Anonymous:

I am on fs and want my family to eat as healthy as possible. So I buy a lot (mostly) fresh/organic foods. Its extremely expensive to eat healthy. We used to receive $680 for a family of five, they have since reduced us to $380 (due to working) and its gotten hard.

mstevens10
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Food prices vary and that plays a part. My mom lies in La she pays right at $5 for a gallon of milk. On the other hand , I live in Tx and I paid $2.19 a gallon a fewj days ago.
KedrynsMommie
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Sorry.. i think different states have different guidelines but it makes sense- if a family of 4 receives 1,000 per month but the cost of food is high then they WOULD need more than a family of 4 where food is cheaper kwim?

I try hard to ONLY have healthy food, but ds who is ftt and needs high calorie/high fat diet i get him things like avacado which are $1.50 each here... it adds up!! Lol

So what ends up happening is ds gets the health food and we get stuck with ramen lmfao!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstevens10
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh and OP I don't think FS money should pay for the kids you watch. Money you get paid should go towards that, or you should tell them to provide their own food.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM

For a family of three I only get 200.....

mamaraylene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM

We are a family of 4 (soon to be 5) and we get $146 a month. We buy most of our groceries, but what we do get helps. My husband works and I am a full-time student.

Livethrewmykids
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Also you can get on a food program to feed the daycare kids. Your teens boys or girls?

Quoting mstevens10:

Oh and OP I don't think FS money should pay for the kids you watch. Money you get paid should go towards that, or you should tell them to provide their own food.

Group Admin :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)