Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for those that have gone through a divorce/ separation

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
How long after a separation before it is acceptable to start seeing other people?
Or how long after a divorce before its ok to date?

Im just curious to the opinion of those that have been through it. When do you feel its ok to move on or at least try to move on
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Ataemommy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM

There is no set time. It is up to the person and the person to decide that for themselves alone -- no one can decide when it's time to move on -- that's dictating someone else's emotions, which just plain can't be done. I was with someone else within a month. Please note, however, that dating someone and bringing someone around your kids are two entirely different things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Don't see other people when seperated. You're still married, and it's wrong to be with others until after the divorce. Then you can be a slut all you want. Seriously, if your first thought is to see other people as soon as you think you're free (i.e. separated) or are divorced, you have no business being married in the first place. Pathetic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM
I know ultimately its up to the individual I'm curious as to how people feel about it. I also wouldn't bring my kids around a new guy unless I felt it was serious.

Quoting Ataemommy:

There is no set time. It is up to the person and the person to decide that for themselves alone -- no one can decide when it's time to move on -- that's dictating someone else's emotions, which just plain can't be done. I was with someone else within a month. Please note, however, that dating someone and bringing someone around your kids are two entirely different things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

if there is no longer an emotional connection between either of the seperated/divorced people i think it is acceptable to move on. my df was only seperated for a few weeks before we started seeing eachother.but out of respect he asked xwife if she minded and she said she didnt...

kc932
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM

We only dated each other when we were separated. We probably started dating a month after the separation. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM
I didn't say I was seeing anyone. Nor am I rushing into the idea. Yes I'm currently separated but I haven't even thought about dating. My question is more based off of what I have seen others do and to get opinions. I also don't think you should say anything about people "slutting" themselves out when you don't know their situation.

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't see other people when seperated. You're still married, and it's wrong to be with others until after the divorce. Then you can be a slut all you want. Seriously, if your first thought is to see other people as soon as you think you're free (i.e. separated) or are divorced, you have no business being married in the first place. Pathetic.

MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I had my first date 2 yrs after being separated and our divorce was 2 mos away. 

I think it is up to the people involved. I didn't want to date until I knew that 100% we were getting a divorce, and even then, I waited a long time.

trinalyn
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM
I didn't date until about 6 months after my divorce was finalized he of course was "dating" other ppl 3 months after we got married lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ataemommy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh shut the fuck up. When your "opinion" is this idiotic, you have no business giving "advice" to anyone, ever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)