• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not religious, but I WOULD BE if this was true. (regarding being gay & abortions)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
2 moms liked this
I'm not religious, but I read this reply from a mom in another group. I hope she doesn't mind that I shared it here. I really like her view on things & want to know if anyone agrees or disagrees?

"From the TRUE Christian perspective:

1. The ONE thing God repeated throughout the Bible was unconditional love, acceptance, & tolerance.

2. At some point in history, the government believed WOMEN shouldn't have equal rights, because of an OLD TESTAMENT story that spoke of women in church having to be quiet & let their husbands speak. (This was ONE STORY in the OLD TESTAMENT)..... Hold that thought.....

3. At one point in history, it was believed by our government that it was acceptable to "own a slave". THIS also as a result of an OLD TESTAMENT story, which says: "slaves, serve your masters with thankfulness". THIS ONE STORY was referring to Old Testament times (before Jesus dies for our sins). Which was when livestock (the mere property & animals used to feed families) had to be sacrificed on an alter to wash away sins. As a result of MANY sins, families were left homeless, starving, & poor. Therefore, (for survival) became slaves to those more fortunate (EI: less sinful). So, in THIS story, God demands slaves to be servants to their masters, because they created that life for themselves through sin!

Hold this thought also......

NOW, let us approach the topic of homosexuality..... In the OLD TESTAMENT (the part of the Bible where homosexuality is mentioned) there is ONE STORY about how homosexuality is a sin...... (MUCH LIKE THE 2 PREVIOUS SCENARIOS: it was relating to that ONE Old Testament story!)

NOW.... Women's rights & the freedom of slaves was fought for & WON with the following argument:

In the NEW TESTAMENT we are clearly told that Old Testament ways, beliefs, & laws were RELEASED FROM US, because Jesus died to wash away our sins. THEREFORE, the nonsense spoken of, lessons learned, & stories told were merely for a "history lesson" so that we could be THANKFUL that we no longer have to live that way, since Jesus died for our sins....

*don't lose me here, i'm almost to my point*

So, with all of the previously considered.....

IE: women's rights, freedome of slaves, AND HOMOSEXUALITY. ALL of which reside in ONE STORY in the OLD TESTAMENT, which we NO LONGER need to follow.......

WHERE EXACTLY is the disconnect here?

WHY (according to most Christians) is homosexuality a sin?

HOW is that ANY DIFFERENT then believing women shouldn't have rights, or that owning a slave is at all acceptable?

FURTHERMORE: If the NUMBER ONE most repeated DEMAND (from the mouth of Jesus himself) is unconditional love, acceptance, & tolerance....... HOW "CHRIST-LIKE IS IT TO TELL PEOPLE WHOM THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LOVE!?"

With that said: I encourage ALL believers to (occasionally) break-free from what is preached at your church & READ THE BIBLE IN YOUR OWN WORDS!

After all, I think we can all agree that the same verse could be taken & learned from in 50 completely different ways by 50 different people.

While I LOVE church (for fellowship with my brothers & sisters in Christ) we have to be willing to accept the fact that the pastor/preacher/priest is speaking in THEIR words. In the way THEY interpreted that specific verse."

There was more that she said about abortions too. I'll go find it & post in replies. I'm trying to figure out how from mobile. I'm new at this.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM
This is what she said about abortions & gay marriage.

In the New Testament there are a few verses regarding marriage between husband & wife. I suppose one could assume that it is referring to marriage between male & female.

But, again.... Let's look deeper into the word "marriage".

CERTAINLY a "marriage" back in the days the Bible was written didn't require a document provided by the government, right? So, in considering that alone, a "legal" marriage wasn't something taught or created by faith. It was something created by GOVERNMENT.

^^ THAT was for government control, no doubt! Who else would benefit from such a thing? WHY must a "marriage" be legalized, unless to restrict certain people from doing so?

Marriage back in Bible times was the promise to God that these 2 people would live for eachother alone & wouldn't stray. It didn't involve government, documents, or any form of legal action whatsoever.....

So, who are Christians to say that a union such as "legal marriage" (created by government NOT FAITH) has any form of "law" or meaning in their Bible?

It simply does not. Therefore, any "law" based upon "legal marriage" was created by GOVERNMENT & is not to be misconstrewed with the CHRISTIAN meaning of marriage.

MUCH LIKE abortion. Do I believe it's'a sin? Absolutely! HOWEVER, the Lord instructed us to treat our bodies as a TEMPLE. Allow nobody control of our bodies, only ourselves. THAT being said: with the way government tends to quickly gain control over such things..... Do you suppose it would be wise to allow the GOVERNMENT to make abortion illegal?

WE (ourselves) may not be effected by such a law. But, consider our daughters & THEIR daughters.... By allowing the government a say as to what is done inside of our bodies, we're opening pandora's box. How would we feel of (in the days of our grandchildren) the government passes a law saying that a woman must be sterilized temporarily until she reaches a certain age, is married, obtains a degree, has a certain level of income. Then, suppose the government decides that our granddaughter is TO OLD to concieve, or already has to many children.... What if the government decided that only 2 children are alotted to each family?

^^ if THAT were the case, *I* wouldn't be here & neither would my youngest child!

Simply put: people (women in general) don't understand the horrific level of control we have already released to the government. By making abortion illegal, we might as well hand our uterus to the government. :-/

That being said: abortion is not my thing..... I'd'hope & pray that i've taught my children the same.

JUST BECAUSE it is legal, does NOT mean we must ALL participate! Much like legal marijuana.... Sure! You can legalize it... But, it's not for me, until my doctor says otherwise.
m3lissa_16
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I completely agree with everything she said. Christianity has become a tool for the sick and twisted to gain power over the misinformed and naive.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:55 PM
She added this to.

Unforyunately, it is truly rare that you'll find a "Christian" like me, because of the stigma behind attending church. (I'll get bashed for this by other Christians) BUT, the Bible was written with parable, experiences, & obviously has been changed & recreated through out history.

(Going back to what I said previously) The NUMBER ONE most repeated DEMAND in the Bible is Unconditional love, forgiveness, acceptance & tolerance.

It is clearly stated in the New Testament that things will change as our world changes, Therefore we must hold true to our faith while still giving unconditional love... Etc...

When you sit in church, the pastor/preacher/priest is teaching verses in the Bible in HIS words! HIS understanding of a verse may be MILES APART from the meaning YOU would have gathered from it. That is the beautiful thing about the Bible... It is meant to be absorbed, followed, & learned from differently by each individual person. By allowing a pastor to translate lessons FOR YOU, you're creating these "cults" & radical conservative groups!

Surely, you've heard of the "silly" verses in the Bible: like the one that says a woman whon is not a virgin by marriage should be killed.... Ummm.... Let's'consider this: the Bible has been translated in MANY different languages. (To make it simple) let's'compare spanish & english~ In english, we might say "It is snowing outside today". In SPANISH, it could translate as "today, the snow is out". Have you ever noticed the placement of action, verb, noun, ETC... In other languages? These words almost always land in different places. Don't you think it would be fair to say that if we understood the previously mentioned verse in the original language it was written in, we might recieve this message differently? Not to mention: WHaAT story or parable it was taken from? Maybe the surrounding text describes a woman whom was sexually sinful, but LIED to her husband? I've seen OTHER text in the Bible such as: "Any adult whom corrupts a child, should be stoned to death".

^^ Id God's intentions to have our government legalize "stoning" as a proper punishment? DOUBTFUL! However, if we dicect that verse..... THIS was God's'way of saying that corrupting (raping?) A child is a disgusting sin! Therefore, that adult's crime is punishible in a harsh way (back in the day "stoning" was the harshest of punishment). Don't you think it would be fair to assume that God is simply using these words (from Bible times) to describe that such an awful crime should be punished harshly? NOT to say that our judges & police officials should be lining up our citie's pedophiles & stoning them? LoL!

Onto the abortion thing.... Consider this... Would late term abortions (or ANY abortion) be necessary if the government would make pregnancy prevention (BC) more available? AGAIN... This is where the conservative Christians (in political power) are forcing their faith onto the rest of the country.

These are the same people that want abortion to be illegal, yet they don't believe in BC. Therefore, insurance companies (namely state-funded insurance) can't provide BC. They ALSO wonakt cover permanent sterilization.

Where is the rational thought behind THAT? Oh wait! THERE IS NONE! Think about it... How many stories have you heard about a woman whom couldn't afford BC & got pregnant, but ALSO didn't believe in abortions? Certainly she is happy now that she has her child, but that hardship could have been prevented. THIS SAME "conservative" group is the one that would like to put an end to planned parenthood. So, with THEIR way of thinking..... We should all be forced to remain fertile, not take BC, and KEEP the baby!

Our countries #1 BIGGEST problem is the LACK OF seperation between church & state.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM
I just really respect her opinions. I don't know anything about the bible , so i dont know if all she said was true. If it is, i can understand why there is confusion with all of it. I wish more religious people would see it this way. My brother is gay & we live where it is unexceptable. My heart breaks for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM
I dont think all religious people are sick & twisted. The mom who wrote this is religious. It seems that there are just a lot of people who dont understand the bible, or try to make it mean something that it doesnt. I might start reading the bible after reading this. If religion was shown this way before i would have looked into it sooner.

Quoting m3lissa_16:

I completely agree with everything she said. Christianity has become a tool for the sick and twisted to gain power over the misinformed and naive.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Well I agree with gay marriage being legal, it's still a sin to Christians. All sins are still the same, only the ways to be forgiven by GOD are changed. Just because Jesus died so that we can simply ask and be forgiven, it doesn't give us "permission" you can ask forgivness for a.sin, but if you keep committing that sin, forgiveness isn't necessary because you don't truly regret what you did.
mamagreen08
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM

It's very eye opening.

m3lissa_16
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I agree, not all religious people are nuts. But the ones who are use their personal and very literal translation of a book full of metaphors to supress and manipulate those who don't do their homework. 

There is quite a bit of space for error and misinterpretation. And many people take advantage of that.

I believe in the individual's ability to be a moral and ethical person without having expecting a reward.

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont think all religious people are sick & twisted. The mom who wrote this is religious. It seems that there are just a lot of people who dont understand the bible, or try to make it mean something that it doesnt. I might start reading the bible after reading this. If religion was shown this way before i would have looked into it sooner.

Quoting m3lissa_16:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM
I dont understand why abortion is legal but gay marriage is not. Is it only ok for the government to make things legal if they save them money? If abortion was illegal the government would have many kids to feed and care for. The government doeant lose money off of gay marriage, so its ok to make it illegal & use sin as an excuse?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I agree with gay marriage being legal, it's still a sin to Christians. All sins are still the same, only the ways to be forgiven by GOD are changed. Just because Jesus died so that we can simply ask and be forgiven, it doesn't give us "permission" you can ask forgivness for a.sin, but if you keep committing that sin, forgiveness isn't necessary because you don't truly regret what you did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Here I thought I would regret reading this, her way of looking at it is very insightful and knowledgeable. I can definitely respect that. Gives me more respect for christians
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)