• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public assistance research

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
I am writing a paper on public assistance (no really - I am). If you are on public assistance would you be willing to answer 3 questions for me? I'm posting it here so people can reply anonymously of they are not comfortable with posting under their names.

1. Why did you start recieving public assistance (life event, job loss, etc)?

2. What benefits do you qualify for and do you use all of the benefits you are qualified for?

3. How long have you been on public assistance and how much longer do you anticipate needing to use it?

ETA: feel free to reply if you were previously on public assistance but are no longer using it and if you are currently on public assistance.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ihereainti
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM
I never have been but here's a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mychele
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM
You might want to clarify if you want just current, or past recipients.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Ty

Quoting Mychele:

You might want to clarify if you want just current, or past recipients.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM
I have a friend with benefits, does that count?
jessie82087
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I'm no longer on PA, but I will reply from my past experiences:

1. I started receiving PA when I got pregnant. Before that, DF and I were struggling, and only putting food on the table because of odd-jobs he would pick up here and there. There were many nights that we ate Ramen noodles for dinner, and nothing else. We lived rent-free with a good friend of his. Once I got pregnant, I realized I needed to worry more about my health and my child's health, so I swallowed my pride and walked into the welfare office. I was already getting free healthcare (because health insurance is required in my state, so they provide it on a sliding scale). But I started getting WIC, cash assistance, and food stamps.

2. I qualified for EVERYTHING, because we were both unemployed and didn't have 2 pennies to rub together. We used it all, and we were frugal about our shopping. We moved in with his mom, and paid her $150/month to rent a room. The food stamps were spent wisely, and we budgeted them to last the month.

3. I was on it for a little over a year. When I started my current job last April, I stopped the cash assistance immediately, and they continued the food stamps for 5 months as supplemental. The food stamps stopped last October, and the WIC just stopped a few months ago. I no longer get free healthcare, so we are completely without assistance now. It was always my plan to use it as a step-up to better things, and I did it!! I'm very proud of myself, but I know that if I ever find myself in a similar situation, I won't let my pride get in the way of caring for my family.

Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM

1. Why did you start recieving public assistance (life event, job loss, etc)? We got on PA because we needed help. We had an unexpected monthly expense come up and it took money away from our food. I also got pregnanut unexpectedly.

2. What benefits do you qualify for and do you use all of the benefits you are qualified for? We get food stamps and DD and I get medicaid. We will both also qualify for WIC.

3. How long have you been on public assistance and how much longer do you anticipate needing to use it? I will probably continue to use the pregnancy medicaid until the end of my pregnancy. I graduate from school this summer, so after the baby is born, if I need to get a part time job to help out with finances, I can. My sister has already agreed to watch DD and the baby.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Bump

What now no one wants to talk about being on PA?!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM

1-lost my job because of morning sickness

2-used food and medical, after I left my husband used cash for 2 months until I found a job (was recovering from giving birth)

3-1 1/2yrs. got off of it as soon as I could

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)