• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 month olds and hotdogs

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies
I'm wondering if my son can try a hot dog. He's 10 1/2 months old and eats his finger foods really well. I'm not looking for the NO he'll choke answers, I'm well aware that he can't have the skin (I bought skinless) and that it needs to be cut up small like all the other foods he eats. I'm just wondering if any of you fed your 10 month old a hot dog? Is it okay health and allergy wise? (btw they are all beef, not that hygrad crap lol)
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Health-wise? Uh, no. LOL. Nasty.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM
I gave DD cut up corndogs. Her doctor said the only reason to wait would be because of choking reasons. As long as you are aware of those(which it seems you are) I say go for it.
BluEyedCrazy
by Christy Ann on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM

They are high in nitrates, so if it is a once in a while thing I dont think it should be a huge deal. I am sure it wont be a daily meal though :)

KeepJeep
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Exactly! I was 8 years old and snuck into the living room at 11:00 pm to watch TV. Johnny Carson (I'm dating myself now!) had on a New York butcher. This butcher had a table where he laid out all the ingredients in hot dogs and bologna. There were hearts, feet, kidneys, ears, snouts...you get the picture. Ugh. I haven't had a hot dog since and I'm now 34!

Quoting PEEK05:

Health-wise? Uh, no. LOL. Nasty.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM
I.ve boiled hotdogs then put them thru the food processor & fed em to my LO starting at around 3 months. He really seemed to enjoy em.
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM

You are not supposed give a child under the age of 1 anything with nitrates in it.  A lot of lunch meats have them in there too.

RiotousDigits
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM

cut it into quarters length-wise and then into bite-size pieces.  he should be able to pick up the bits no problem.

The choking hazard is eliminated when you cut the "rounds" into quarters.

singlemom1208
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM
I did. Ds is happy and healthy. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ataemommy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM
2 moms liked this

EW! Fucking gross! Why would you eat a hot dog as an ADULT, let alone a child?

Ataemommy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I gave DD cut up corndogs. Her doctor said the only reason to wait would be because of choking reasons. As long as you are aware of those(which it seems you are) I say go for it.

Your doctor sucks at nutrition. Nitrites are pretty much the biggest contributing factor to getting cancer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)