Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is it a bad thing for infants to sleep in their swings?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

So I was reading another post and saw some ladies saying that an infant sleeping in a swing is a bad idea...why is this?

My 4 year old and 2 year old sons both slept in their swings, because that is the only place they would sleep...I've never heard this, so I was just wondering why its so bad.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angeleyes16
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM

bump

RGladson
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Maybe the incline? Not sure. Maybe it's the same as some people say about car seats...when they're in that certain position it's harder for them to breathe.

No idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aschwarz06
My kids did too but the idea is that when babies sleep in a swing their heads can tilt forward and cut off their airway
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM
I know the back of there heads get kinda flat. I had a friend do this and she was investigated by c.p.s. She was fine but idk
cmack40487
No clue, my 3 month old hates the swing, but my 2.5 year old napped in hers all the time. I'm assuming it's because their heads can slump and obstruct their breathing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The risk for flat spots

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Quoting RGladson:

Maybe the incline? Not sure. Maybe it's the same as some people say about car seats...when they're in that certain position it's harder for them to breathe.

But the swing has the option for a reclining position where the carseat does not...

SarahsAMommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I don't know. I loved my son's rocker/glider thing. He had really bad ear infections starting at 3 months old. That thing was my life saver more then once. Also his swing. It's not like I left him in a different room in it. And if I remember right, I shut it off shortly after he would finally fall asleep.

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Not sure-but if it wasn't for DD's swing-I never would have slept

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I know the back of there heads get kinda flat. I had a friend do this and she was investigated by c.p.s. She was fine but idk

Can't they also go flat in a crib?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)