Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

People may think it is funny about the family all taking a bath in the same water...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM
  • 93 Replies

But, I was forced to do it as a child.  

My parents were not good parents and put all of their money towards drugs.  They barely kept food in the house and our utilities were frequently shut off. I never had new anything as a kid.

Anyway, one way my parents kept the bills down is by all of us sharing the same bath water.  

My dad would take a bath first, then my mom would use the same water, and then my sister and I would get in together. By the time we got in, the water was always gross.  My dad was a mechanic, so he had a dirty job.  They wouldn't let us have clean water because it was a "waste".

We may have not been taking a bath all together, but we were all using the same water which was gross. Oh, and we had to use the same washcloths and towels too because we did not have a washer and dryer in our house and had to go to the next town over to do laundry.  So, we weren't allowed to dirty up a bunch of stuff and had to use theirs.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelbaby1977
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Same here except for the drugs. There were 7 of us kids and we all bathed in The same water. Sucked but we didn't have money. Most the time no electricity and never had a phone. Ugh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
19nene80
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

its not funny its just nasty

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Sorry hun :(
oceandancer
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Wow I am sorry you had such a rough childhood.

TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

We would get our electricity shut off and have no hot water.  We had a propane stove that heated the house and we would take all of our pots full of water and set them on top of the stove.  We would do that for hours while trying to fill the bathtub with hot water. It sucked.

Quoting angelbaby1977:

Same here except for the drugs. There were 7 of us kids and we all bathed in The same water. Sucked but we didn't have money. Most the time no electricity and never had a phone. Ugh!

Greekmama21

That is disgusting, we shower with our daughter to make it speedy in teh morning but we are not recycling water and everyone has their own towels and washcloths. I don't consider it hygenic to do otherwise. 

AdellesMom
Awww! I'm sorry hun! I had a rough childhood. But, I was able to take a bath by myself.

I didn't think that post was funny. I thought it was kind of icky--for lack of a better word.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JustCJ
by ~yeerp~ on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Sorry. My parents didnt do drugs but often something was cut off and my mom had to heat the water on the stove and us kids shared the water. Never after my step father who was in construction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyvamp5489
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Same here and we had 8 kids, except for the drugs and we had to haul our water once a week from a well miles away!  GROSS!

nikki32230
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM
We never had to do that in my family, but in my mothers generation it wasnt uncommon for kids to use the same bath water, and families were a lot bigger then, but I think it was just the kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)