Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my foodstamps paid for my toilet paper

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

Today I went grocery shopping with my foodstamps and the only non food item was toilet paper. at the check out the cashier did not say anything after I swiped my food stamp card. I asked him why i didn't owe him money? I had toilet paper and that should not have been covered by the foodstamps. He thought about it and went and got a manager. She fixed the situation and I paid cash for my toilet paper. The guy waiting behind me then makes a comment on how only weird people are on food stamps....well by the looks of his teeth I felt like saying "only weird people refuse to own a toothbrush", but I didn't say it.

would you have been honest and wanted to pay cash or would you have not said anything and let the food stamps pay for your toilet paper?

I don't get very much so I can't afford to waste my stamps.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Honestly, i'd probably be too embarrassed to say anything. I'm shy
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I would have said something, I've not on food stamps but was as a child and I know they only go so far, I wouldn't wan to spend them on toilet paper when they could be used to feed my family at a later time.

T-Rentsmommy06
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I would have spoken up. But if they weren't understanding what I was explaining to them I would give up. That has happened with coupons and deals at stores and such, I am not gonna fight for the store to charge me properly. I tried.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Hell no I wouldnt have said anything lol I wont say on here what ive bought with my food stamps before cuz ill get bashed hard lol but it sure as hell wasnt TP haha !
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:33 PM
One time I used a coupon after I swiped my FS card and it deducted the amount from my non food items. I didn't even think about it til I was going over my receipt later and realized that the $2 worth came off after. Now I make sure to give coupons first. Then swipe
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)