Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

the "natural moms" post went poof so

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this
Here is my long ass reply to it (because I spent 20 mins trying to type it on my mobile phone and Im NOT just going to waste all my energy)
Its not super important but here it is:
I didn't used to be such a "hippie" as you put it (which btw hippie and crunchy are two different things that sometimes go hand in hand), but over the last few years (especially during this pregnancy) I've run across too many things saying the choices I was making were not the best for me or my kids. So it made me curious and I started looking into it and found a lot of scary info on some of the things I allowed in and around my family, so I continued to dig and find out more and more and have now decided that I want to make some MAJOR changes in my life because the facts(not just opinions...and Im a hardass when it comes to this difference!!!) are clear in that some things are bad for us and some are not. Im not an extremist by far, (we currently go through a few gallons of whole milk a week, I don't plan to give up steak...it just might be local free range vs store bought, I love mayo and oreos and I need my texture cream for my hair and an occasional can of soda lol) but I will cut out most processed foods and I'll grow my own, Id like to have a small farm, use bicycles more, use my electronics less, avoid or at a minimum delay vaccines, use less energy if possible, and avoid chemically enhanced products for by baby, etc.)
The only time Im judgmental is if someone flat out refuses to be open minded about something....especially if there are facts presented or offered. Its hard for me to understand a mom who REFUSES to offer breastmilk to their baby(pump and bottle feed, what's two weeks of your life when it has so many known benefits? Obviously longer is better but at least the colostrum), or a mom who smokes around their kids...much less in a confined space like a home or vehicle....its child abuse to me, I've been the kudos it was forced upon and smoked for 12 years because iof the addiction it caused me, a mom who refuses to use a car seat or booster according to law(why NOT do it the safest way you can?), and a mom who refuses to look into other hot topics like vaccines/circumcision/natural birth....they can continue to do things how they want after they know the facts, but at least look into the topics to make an educated decision....for the kids. To me, part of the responsibility of parenting is investing time and energy into learning how to parent in the best way possible....to ME, its hard to understand why someone should be a parent if they aren't going to fulfil all the responsibilities that come with the job.
I try not to judge moms for making decisions differently because I was that mom that just did what I was told and didn't think twice, I was that mom that got the drugs in labor and didn't think twice about Johnson and Johnson or vaxes or circing or hamburger helper or Gain detergent....that was me once. I didn't know any better, but I failed as a parent but not realizing it was my responsibility to know better....I wasn't a BAD mom at all, I was a good mom, great even....but I wasn't as good as I needed to be, I didn't do ALL I could and should have.

I know this is long, it would be longer but Im hungry so its lunch time.

excuse all typos please....I hate being mobile!
I guess my point is this, the facts are there, its our job to look at those facts...what you do with those facts is individual choice, but we should all at least look because we are mommy and that's part if what being mommy means.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I <3 u!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinabelle27
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Agree!

chipper87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Bump so the original poster can read it.....

can you guys bump this for me please? Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.sugar.kisses.
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM
VERY GOOD! Now if only I could be THAT type of mom!! Lol! Your kids are VERY lucky!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MooreBoysMama
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_diva_
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM
I have a few questions....

What's wrong.with Johnson and Johnson and Gain detergent??

And also what's ur views on vaxs!

Not bashing.at all just very curious :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Razzme
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

BUMP!

simple_ole_me
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Well, shoot... I spent about 20 minutes on my reply too. Of course, when I clicked to submit ... I lost my reply.

chipper87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM
J&J is full of carcinogens undId rather spend the same money (or slightly more) buying organic alternatives like coconut oil. I feel the same about petroleum jelly and diaper cream, baby wipes, baby oil. Gain was just a threw out there because its a wasted expense to me, I can make my own laundry detergent without harsh chemicals for way less money. Eventually I will figure out way that works to get rid of static cling and I'll stop using dryer sheets and save our skin and my dryer from that film they give lol.

Right now I am researching, researching, researching....so I am not fully educated yet but here's how I feel so far:
*Im not okay with aluminium, formaldahyde(sp?), animal byproducts and aborted fetal cells being normal ingredients.
* Not all of them work, my dd got the measles after getting the vax to protect her from it.
* I am anti cocktail vaxes for sure, if I decide to get any vaxes, they will be one at a time, NOT 5 at a time that share 1 name. Id like to know WHICH one of the 5 gave her an adverse reaction if she got a reaction.
* I am not okay with any new vaxes, who knows what the long term side effects are? What if it doesn't cause a reaction now but in 40years we find out its the cause of liver failure?
* You can always vax later, But I can't undo a vax.
* Im leary of something we give an infant that provides protection for long periods of time...is it good for them to get that high of a dose of anything? Kind of like the Vitamin K they get at birth....Im not opposed to my kid getting vitamin K, but not in one LG dose, Id rather take a daily dose myself and pass it to them through my breast milk.

I didn't take your reply as bashing :)

Quoting _diva_:

I have a few questions....

What's wrong.with Johnson and Johnson and Gain detergent??

And also what's ur views on vaxs!

Not bashing.at all just very curious :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chipper87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Thank you :)

And Im learning that I can be any kind of mom I want to be (except a rich one with a maid lol)....so can you.

Quoting .sugar.kisses.:

VERY GOOD! Now if only I could be THAT type of mom!! Lol! Your kids are VERY lucky!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN