Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

the "natural moms" post went poof so

Posted by   + Show Post
Here is my long ass reply to it (because I spent 20 mins trying to type it on my mobile phone and Im NOT just going to waste all my energy)
Its not super important but here it is:
I didn't used to be such a "hippie" as you put it (which btw hippie and crunchy are two different things that sometimes go hand in hand), but over the last few years (especially during this pregnancy) I've run across too many things saying the choices I was making were not the best for me or my kids. So it made me curious and I started looking into it and found a lot of scary info on some of the things I allowed in and around my family, so I continued to dig and find out more and more and have now decided that I want to make some MAJOR changes in my life because the facts(not just opinions...and Im a hardass when it comes to this difference!!!) are clear in that some things are bad for us and some are not. Im not an extremist by far, (we currently go through a few gallons of whole milk a week, I don't plan to give up steak...it just might be local free range vs store bought, I love mayo and oreos and I need my texture cream for my hair and an occasional can of soda lol) but I will cut out most processed foods and I'll grow my own, Id like to have a small farm, use bicycles more, use my electronics less, avoid or at a minimum delay vaccines, use less energy if possible, and avoid chemically enhanced products for by baby, etc.)
The only time Im judgmental is if someone flat out refuses to be open minded about something....especially if there are facts presented or offered. Its hard for me to understand a mom who REFUSES to offer breastmilk to their baby(pump and bottle feed, what's two weeks of your life when it has so many known benefits? Obviously longer is better but at least the colostrum), or a mom who smokes around their kids...much less in a confined space like a home or vehicle....its child abuse to me, I've been the kudos it was forced upon and smoked for 12 years because iof the addiction it caused me, a mom who refuses to use a car seat or booster according to law(why NOT do it the safest way you can?), and a mom who refuses to look into other hot topics like vaccines/circumcision/natural birth....they can continue to do things how they want after they know the facts, but at least look into the topics to make an educated decision....for the kids. To me, part of the responsibility of parenting is investing time and energy into learning how to parent in the best way possible....to ME, its hard to understand why someone should be a parent if they aren't going to fulfil all the responsibilities that come with the job.
I try not to judge moms for making decisions differently because I was that mom that just did what I was told and didn't think twice, I was that mom that got the drugs in labor and didn't think twice about Johnson and Johnson or vaxes or circing or hamburger helper or Gain detergent....that was me once. I didn't know any better, but I failed as a parent but not realizing it was my responsibility to know better....I wasn't a BAD mom at all, I was a good mom, great even....but I wasn't as good as I needed to be, I didn't do ALL I could and should have.

I know this is long, it would be longer but Im hungry so its lunch time.

excuse all typos please....I hate being mobile!
I guess my point is this, the facts are there, its our job to look at those facts...what you do with those facts is individual choice, but we should all at least look because we are mommy and that's part if what being mommy means.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Replies (11-19):
_diva_
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM
I agree with u on the vaxes...I don't think a little body can accept all this stuff we r injecting into.them at one time...I got my son all of his shots up to.his 12 month MMR...I did my research and.I know its not proven but alot and I mean a lot of women said their child was perfectly fine until that MMR shot...something is giving our children autisum!!! And the drug comps.with never admit it but I believe in all my heart it has something to.do with that mmr shot...its just scary now a days...I had several nurses and pedis that said they don't even vax their kids...sorry for my ramble lol

I use gain I was just like Omg what's wrong with gain lol!!!!

I used baby magic on my son...where did u get the all natural baby wash?

Quoting chipper87:

J&J is full of carcinogens undId rather spend the same money (or slightly more) buying organic alternatives like coconut oil. I feel the same about petroleum jelly and diaper cream, baby wipes, baby oil. Gain was just a threw out there because its a wasted expense to me, I can make my own laundry detergent without harsh chemicals for way less money. Eventually I will figure out way that works to get rid of static cling and I'll stop using dryer sheets and save our skin and my dryer from that film they give lol.

Right now I am researching, researching, researching....so I am not fully educated yet but here's how I feel so far:

*Im not okay with aluminium, formaldahyde(sp?), animal byproducts and aborted fetal cells being normal ingredients.

* Not all of them work, my dd got the measles after getting the vax to protect her from it.

* I am anti cocktail vaxes for sure, if I decide to get any vaxes, they will be one at a time, NOT 5 at a time that share 1 name. Id like to know WHICH one of the 5 gave her an adverse reaction if she got a reaction.

* I am not okay with any new vaxes, who knows what the long term side effects are? What if it doesn't cause a reaction now but in 40years we find out its the cause of liver failure?

* You can always vax later, But I can't undo a vax.

* Im leary of something we give an infant that provides protection for long periods of time...is it good for them to get that high of a dose of anything? Kind of like the Vitamin K they get at birth....Im not opposed to my kid getting vitamin K, but not in one LG dose, Id rather take a daily dose myself and pass it to them through my breast milk.

I didn't take your reply as bashing :)

Quoting _diva_:

I have a few questions....

What's wrong.with Johnson and Johnson and Gain detergent??

And also what's ur views on vaxs!

Not bashing.at all just very curious :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chipper87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:53 PM
EarthMamaAngelBaby
California Baby
Burts Bees
Natures Baby

Iherb.com is good, use retailmenot.com to find a coupon code and save money lol

etsy sometimes has good stuff too, just look for ingredients to be listed, Id rather give my money to the little man so etsy is a favorite for me.
Or, you can learn how to make your own, or go the "no poo" route.
It seems as though any "natural" concoction that is considered good for baby wipe solution would also work as body wash (avoid eyes).

Quoting _diva_:

I agree with u on the vaxes...I don't think a little body can accept all this stuff we r injecting into.them at one time...I got my son all of his shots up to.his 12 month MMR...I did my research and.I know its not proven but alot and I mean a lot of women said their child was perfectly fine until that MMR shot...something is giving our children autisum!!! And the drug comps.with never admit it but I believe in all my heart it has something to.do with that mmr shot...its just scary now a days...I had several nurses and pedis that said they don't even vax their kids...sorry for my ramble lol

Quoting chipper87:

J&J is full of carcinogens undId rather spend the same money (or slightly more) buying organic alternatives like coconut oil. I feel the same about petroleum jelly and diaper cream, baby wipes, baby oil. Gain was just a threw out there because its a wasted expense to me, I can make my own laundry detergent without harsh chemicals for way less money. Eventually I will figure out way that works to get rid of static cling and I'll stop using dryer sheets and save our skin and my dryer from that film they give lol.

Right now I am researching, researching, researching....so I am not fully educated yet but here's how I feel so far:

*Im not okay with aluminium, formaldahyde(sp?), animal byproducts and aborted fetal cells being normal ingredients.

* Not all of them work, my dd got the measles after getting the vax to protect her from it.

* I am anti cocktail vaxes for sure, if I decide to get any vaxes, they will be one at a time, NOT 5 at a time that share 1 name. Id like to know WHICH one of the 5 gave her an adverse reaction if she got a reaction.

* I am not okay with any new vaxes, who knows what the long term side effects are? What if it doesn't cause a reaction now but in 40years we find out its the cause of liver failure?

* Im leary of something we give an infant that provides protection for long periods of time...is it good for them to get that high of a dose of anything? Kind of like the Vitamin K they get at birth....Im not opposed to my kid getting vitamin K, but not in one LG dose, Id rather take a daily dose myself and pass it to them through my breast milk.

Quoting _diva_:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_diva_
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Ok thank u maam!!!

Quoting chipper87:

EarthMamaAngelBaby

California Baby

Burts Bees

Natures Baby

Iherb.com is good, use retailmenot.com to find a coupon code and save money lol

etsy sometimes has good stuff too, just look for ingredients to be listed, Id rather give my money to the little man so etsy is a favorite for me.

Or, you can learn how to make your own, or go the "no poo" route.

It seems as though any "natural" concoction that is considered good for baby wipe solution would also work as body wash (avoid eyes).

Quoting _diva_:

Quoting chipper87:

Quoting _diva_:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Naegore
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Love this reply. I didn't bother replying to the other. I am very much like you. I realized that following my natural instincts benefited my son and family more than what was socially accepted. I have since done tons of research and found myself having a very "crunchy" POV.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM
I feel like all these people not vaccinating is going to lead to an epidemic in 25 years. All the viruses and diseases we eradicated are going to resurface. I do believe some children have a reaction to certain ingredients, just as some can be allergic to their own mothers breast milk. I don't think vaccines cause autism. I believe it's just a mental disorder that some children inevitably develop, just like the people running around with schitzophrenia and other personality and behavioral disorders. I think vaccines are something for a parent to blame that their child isn't perfect. No one knows we're autism comes from, but to insist that it's a vaccine causing it, I don't agree with it.

I would gladly choose to vaccinate versus set my child up for a disease the could permanently disable them and even kill them.

If there was a vaccine for HIV, would you be against it or not?
_diva_
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM
I did my research myself and thats how I feel...I.have that right...its my child...I just look at all these kids and when they stated that it is mandatory for.kids to.have shots.for school ( which its not) and they changed the shot ingredients up and ALL of these children were PERFECT before the MMR and then 3 months later they have these signs and symptoms....that doesn't throw a RED FLAG up to u??? I mean at all???

Quoting Anonymous:

I feel like all these people not vaccinating is going to lead to an epidemic in 25 years. All the viruses and diseases we eradicated are going to resurface. I do believe some children have a reaction to certain ingredients, just as some can be allergic to their own mothers breast milk. I don't think vaccines cause autism. I believe it's just a mental disorder that some children inevitably develop, just like the people running around with schitzophrenia and other personality and behavioral disorders. I think vaccines are something for a parent to blame that their child isn't perfect. No one knows we're autism comes from, but to insist that it's a vaccine causing it, I don't agree with it.

I would gladly choose to vaccinate versus set my child up for a disease the could permanently disable them and even kill them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Quoting _diva_:

No it doesn't. I believe they weren't at a stage that you could developmentally tell there was a difference.

What kind of test is performed to diagnose autism? Not being rude, I honestly want to know.

My cousin is autistic. She was different from her cousins since she was 6 months old, but it became more and more noticeable when she wasn't talking at all. That led to noticing other tendencies she had that weren't normal. Today she is 6 and pretty damn normal to me. She talks a little funny, but she's mentally all there. Her speech is slightly off, but she's a normal 6 year old I my opinion.
_diva_
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Well of course there is children born with autisim ..I'm talking about the ones that were perfectly fine...who knows their child best?? A mother of course!!!

There is no test but one day hopefully before this earth comes to a end we will find out what cause this that children aren't born with

I just can't as a mother take that risk in my child possibly with a 1% chance developing something from that MMR shot...it terrifies me...I believe its the concoction of all three that does it... I have a very expensive all doc that is tryin to get them divided up in to 3 diff shots..and we can space them.out a month at a time...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chipper87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM
There's a theory about protection from the herd, I don't know too much about it but, basically what I understand is this, if only a few out of a herd are unvaxed, all of the vaxed ones will keep the diseases at bay....I THINK that's how it goes. But even if that's not right then 2 things:
1)I read somewhere that the numbers were changed to make it seem like the vaxes were responsible for reducing the diseases but somehow they didn't...I wonder how true that is...I plan to look into it.
2) Like I said, we can always get the vaxes later, and if we feel that there's a valid threat, we will....or at that point then our kids would decide for themselves.

I don't know if they cause it or not, I think it seems fishy. Im not sure I would put autism and schizophrenia in the same category, isn't one a chemical makeup issue and one a neurological design issue?
I think *most* moms of children with autism feel like their child is perfect, so I don't think they are looking for someone to blame for that reason, if anything I think they spend countless hours trying to find a cure and find a possible cause instead.
There is a HUGE difference between breastmilk and metals/known toxins/aborted fetal cells/live viruses...a huge difference.

If you've looked into vaccinations enough to know both the pros and cons and think the pros outweigh the cons, then I see nothing at all wrong with that decision. Now if you've not looked and you're basing your decision off of what you think you know, then I strongly encourage you to at least look, if you don't look and your kids get hurt over it, you will feel guilty for the rest of your life, a lot of people recommend the Dr.Sears book on the topic, I'd start there if you are just looking for basics. Personally I haven't read it but instead am answering a series of questions about each vax/disease and will then consider delayed scheduling for those I choose to have my kids get.

As for the HIV vax, no I wouldn't get it for them because 1) I have no reason to think my child would contract that disease until they are of an age to decide for themselves if they should get it....and no matter how young they were when they decided to make a compromising choice, I would allow them to make that decision....they would also get a long talk about making wise and responsible decisions and protecting themselves lol. 2) I would be terrified of the side effects of a new vax that had the power to prevent HIV, it would no doubt be a live virus vax and I would assess how high the risk would be of that live virus causing instead of preventing as my dd's measles vax did. I would also hope that there would be a cure by then....we are talking (hopefully a minimum of) a decade from now.

I hope nothing in my reply sounds judgmental because that's not at all my intent :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)