Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Her milk dried up can she restart breastfeeding?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
Is it possible to start breastfeeding again after your milk has dried out? Just curious because I had a friend tell me that happened to her & honestly I don't believe her. She stopped for a couple of months then decided she wanted to try again. :-/ I kind of mad her feel bad for stopping but I guess since she's trying again I won't be so hard on her.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eco_Momma
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:31 AM

yup, it's very possible to re-lactate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:36 AM
I had no idea we were able to do that I guess I was wrong. I didn't want to discourage her or anything like that, just a bit upset that she stopped :-/ hopefully it'll work out for her but I'm sure it's gotta be tough.
iloveconan
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, it's hard but possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kathryn33
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:39 AM
Yes

kiralyn
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Sure can. Some moms even lactate for their adopted babies :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iloveconan
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that is so cool. If I ever adopted, I'd absolutely try!

Quoting kiralyn:

Sure can. Some moms even lactate for their adopted babies :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:37 AM

In my case no. I was pregnant and breastfeeding and hospitalized 3 times for dehydration and that's what dried me up. While hospitalized I also had a bug and couldn't keep anything down, even water so I was given IV fluids and IV zofran for the day and sent home. It got annoying by the third time because I would sit on the toilet with it coming out both ends. The first time I dealt with the problem for 3 days before I admitted that I needed help, the other two times I went after my first episode on the toilet. My husband and daughter were up there with me the whole day and I had already started to supplement so I didn't breastfeed while in the hospital. My daughter was 10 1/2 months the last time I breastfed her. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Aww I'm sorry that you had to go through all that :-/ at least you had a reason other than just stopping because you wanted to. My friend stopped just because :( & you breastfed for a long time so that's good you tried :)

Quoting Anonymous:

In my case no. I was pregnant and breastfeeding and hospitalized 3 times for dehydration and that's what dried me up. While hospitalized I also had a bug and couldn't keep anything down, even water so I was given IV fluids and IV zofran for the day and sent home. It got annoying by the third time because I would sit on the toilet with it coming out both ends. The first time I dealt with the problem for 3 days before I admitted that I needed help, the other two times I went after my first episode on the toilet. My husband and daughter were up there with me the whole day and I had already started to supplement so I didn't breastfeed while in the hospital. My daughter was 10 1/2 months the last time I breastfed her. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 14, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Thanks. I actually had to start to supplement around 7 months. With my second I was able to breastfeed until he was about 14 months. The last few months weren't more than once or twice a day though. My original plan was to stop at 12 months but it was a little hard to because I was so emotional. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Aww I'm sorry that you had to go through all that :-/ at least you had a reason other than just stopping because you wanted to. My friend stopped just because :( & you breastfed for a long time so that's good you tried :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

You are the most obnoxious woman alive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN