Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone good with dogs?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
My dog has recently started pooping in the house. He went to the vet about two months ago and all was well. He is almost 5 years old and we have never had this issue before. He is not crated and crates tend to freak him out. Any ideas?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mare1180
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VannaMae307
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM

try walking him more often, he might not be staying outside long enough to get his bowels moved to completely be able to empty, walking stimulates the bowels.

also try adjusting his food...what worked for him as a puppy may not be working for him as an older dog. make sure he gets plenty of water, if the problem is constipation (thinking he's done and then later when he's inside the house it wants to come out) then more water will help. He'll have to pee more often though so watch that aspect of it as well

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM
He always has water. So I don't think that is it. But it could be the other. Work has been insane. His walks have been shorter. Although he never poops on leash. He waits till we get home for the backyard.

Quoting VannaMae307:

try walking him more often, he might not be staying outside long enough to get his bowels moved to completely be able to empty, walking stimulates the bowels.

also try adjusting his food...what worked for him as a puppy may not be working for him as an older dog. make sure he gets plenty of water, if the problem is constipation (thinking he's done and then later when he's inside the house it wants to come out) then more water will help. He'll have to pee more often though so watch that aspect of it as well

fairyjester
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM

any changes in the household.   diffrent people. people suddenly gone.  construction remodeling?

any change in food?

are the stools normal or loose

"oh look they ate a baby,  how rude"---  Monroe

VannaMae307
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM

if the weather is nice just let him run a little longer then, make sure he gets enough exercise to stimulate his bowels and all that gross stuff so it comes out. I worked with show dogs for a few years and that was almost always the problem, sometimes the body adjusts to specific times of walking and can't really adapt when the times get shorter :)

hope it helps!

Quoting Anonymous:

He always has water. So I don't think that is it. But it could be the other. Work has been insane. His walks have been shorter. Although he never poops on leash. He waits till we get home for the backyard.

Quoting VannaMae307:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Normal stools. Our work hours have changed and I have been traveling a bit. But he much prefers my DH over me. If DH is home I don't exist.

Quoting fairyjester:

any changes in the household.   diffrent people. people suddenly gone.  construction remodeling?

any change in food?

are the stools normal or loose

twistedtulip
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM
What fairyjester said and

Do you keep his food down at all times? If so then only put it down twice a day and take him out right after.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM
He is underweight and doesn't eat much. The vet told us to free feed him.

Quoting twistedtulip:

What fairyjester said and

Do you keep his food down at all times? If so then only put it down twice a day and take him out right after.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN