Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Eat things they dont like.
My parents would make dinner when i was little and i would say about 4-5 times a week i would go to bed hungry. I seriouslly didnt like meat and every night it would be steak ..pork chops ..meatloaf or somethinga covered in barbeque sauce..etc. Now that im a parent thinking back on this.. i see how wrong it was. How can u force your child to eat something they dont like?!?!
And for the record, i wasnt just being a picky kid.. i still to this day will not touch a steak or a pork chop and seriously the smell of barbeque sauce makes me nauseas. I know meat does provide protien and its an important part of a childs diet. They could have found other foods to make up for it tho.
Do u force ur kids to eat food they dont like?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Replies (271-276):
smurfbitebug
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM
She doesn't skip an entire meal. I offer a meat and two veggies, or a meat, veggie and fruit, and most of the time some starches. Her meals are well-rounded, and if she chooses not to eat something on her plate, she doesn't get an alternative. She waits until the next meal or snack to have another opportunity to eat.

And often times there are things I serve that I hate. I can't stand cooked carrots. Hate 'em. I still serve them, I just don't eat them because I can't stand them. I don't make myself an alternative. I will eat again shortly.

It's not unhealthy. It's not mean. You just think it is. You're entitled to your opinion... it doesn't make it a true fact.

Quoting mamma2B666:

What if u had no choice what eacj of ur meals were. And someone gave u something u absolutley hated! What is one food tjat u cant stand and makes u sick to even smell it? Everyone has something. Thats how i was with meat. I just dont see how letting a child skip meals is healthy.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

She eats what I make her, or she waits 'til the next meal to eat.

It's not wrong because you say it is, or feel that it is. If you don't wish to do that, that's fine. But it doesn't make it wrong that I choose to do things differently.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Renee47
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I make my dd taste the food not eat if she really dosnt like

Jennifer_57
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM
This.

Also, she wants to try anything I will eat. So she will always ask to try new foods as long as 1) it's on my plate..or 2) it grows from the ground.

Quoting Shaken1976:

My daughter absolutely MUST try foods.  IF she doesn't like them then she doesn't have to eat them.  But if she is pitching a fit about trying it before she even takes a bite then she has to try more than one bite because she has already decided she doesn't like it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowpeasmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM
I am the same way with my son though. I also tell him he has to swallow it but I do have milk or juice waiting next to him to wash it out. And every so often ill make him try it again. He now eats chicken because of this. Before he was my fruitatarian no meat, no green veggies, just fruit and other veggies. He got protien from nuts, cheese, and beans, mostly peanut butter.

I am annoyed with my dad though, my son hated French fries but my dad kept trying. That was a food I wouldn't have kept trying.:) he also eats meat speghitti now with spinich because of try it again and my home made mac and cheese has hidden green too.:) shhh

Oh and sometimes ill have him try it again with apple sauce. Something I discovered while we were eating he didn't like Kraft mac and cheese and we went out and I thought it was a home made kind, it came with a side of apple sauce. Well my son dumped the apple sauce in and said it was really good. So we try it.

Quoting Shaken1976:

My daughter absolutely MUST try foods.  IF she doesn't like them then she doesn't have to eat them.  But if she is pitching a fit about trying it before she even takes a bite then she has to try more than one bite because she has already decided she doesn't like it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KJM419
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 2:02 AM
Rule has always been ,if you don't eat what I made for dinner, the only alternative is PB&J.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dispatcher0717
by Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM

In general the rule in our family, including the aunts and uncles houses (who are our usual babysitters), is that everything on the plate must at least be tried, if you dont like it and choose not to eat it from there that is fine, but if you dont try it you wont know if you like it or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)