Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

An athiest at church... friends say i am a hypocrite.

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM
  • 27 Replies
2 moms liked this
I grew up in the Catholic church, but have been an athiest for a long time. I go to church every Sunday, I participate in their activities, and I never give voice to my lack of belief in their beliefs. My friends say that this makes me a hypocrite. I say it makes me a good mother.

My 5 year old believes in God, the church, and all of that hooplah. She told me that just because I don't believe doesn't mean that she feels that way, and she believes that Jesus is always with her and protects her, encouraging her to do good things.

Do I think that part of it is because her dad is super religious? Yes. But if she feels these are her beliefs, I don't want to minimize it, or make her feel isolated. And it would be rude to go to somebody's space, and debate with them. I make the choice to be there for DD. They don't force me to celebrate with them.

I don't think I am being a hypocrite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylinCC
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's great that you go for your daughter.

Sweet_Britt
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Awww, Im an Atheist and would do the same thing for my boys : )

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM
See, that's what I told them! And one of my friends said that she definitely wouldn't go. :(

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshieNicole
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I think your there for your child and that makes you a good and involved mom

besides religion has been fought and debated over since the beginning of time and not everyone is going to believe the same exact thing EVER so people need to be respectful of others religious beliefs because they are deeply personal beliefs that are different for everyone

34niewz.gif blinkinq skull kiss image by xxLadiiexTinkkxx

Beautiful31mom
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

As a Christian, I think it is great that you are there supporting your child. You are not a hypocrite at all. I think your 5yo is a very smart little girl too. 

Sweet_Britt
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

That's because she's selfish and invested in her own beliefs and not nurturing the individual mind of her child. 

I've always said I'd support my kids in any religion they chose to believe in, or if they believe they are Atheists, I'll support that as well! 

I love that you're doing it for her. She'll always appreciate that!

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

See, that's what I told them! And one of my friends said that she definitely wouldn't go. :(

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

RaeAnne.USAF
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I'm glad you support your daughter in that way!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmyof2armywife
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM
I plan on doing the same thing when dd is old enough to understand. She's only 19 months so right now it'd be nursery for her.
SweetlySassy
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM

AWww  you are super sweet to do that for your child.  

I was raised in a super strict religious house hold, and at one point we ended up in a cult!!  I couldn't see myself in church again, but I am letting my child make her own thoughts about religion (dad is athiest, I believe in god, but I dont label myself as anything) 

I have friends and family that can take her if that is what she would like to do, and that is OK by me! I just want it to be HER thoughts. Not forced upon her like it was on me.

Mare1180
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this

:) love that you do this for your dd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN