Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

An athiest at church... friends say i am a hypocrite.

Posted by   + Show Post
I grew up in the Catholic church, but have been an athiest for a long time. I go to church every Sunday, I participate in their activities, and I never give voice to my lack of belief in their beliefs. My friends say that this makes me a hypocrite. I say it makes me a good mother.

My 5 year old believes in God, the church, and all of that hooplah. She told me that just because I don't believe doesn't mean that she feels that way, and she believes that Jesus is always with her and protects her, encouraging her to do good things.

Do I think that part of it is because her dad is super religious? Yes. But if she feels these are her beliefs, I don't want to minimize it, or make her feel isolated. And it would be rude to go to somebody's space, and debate with them. I make the choice to be there for DD. They don't force me to celebrate with them.

I don't think I am being a hypocrite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Replies (21-27):
lowencope
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't listen to people who criticize you.
My2Midgets01
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I think it's great that you do this, and don't see you as a hypocrite. If so, I would be one as well, and so would their dad, my boyfriend and a lot of our family. 

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I agree with you, you are a fantastic mother.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM
I don't think you are, I don't pray for people, my sil has cancer, and she is religious. Her family got bracelets made, that say "pray for ______" love, hope, faith and I carry it every day, it's all about the support I think :)
2rays0fsun
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I think it's great you're open minded enough to allow your child freedom in her beliefs, and support her in that. You're not being a hypocrite, you're being a good mom!

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Thanks ladies. It's great to see such acceptance of others faith, beliefs, life... whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I'm a Christian, and I think it's great that you support your daughter's beliefs that way.  What would be hypocritical is if your fellow church members wouldn't allow you to participate in their activities or attend church with them because of your beliefs or lack of them, as it were.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)