Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

anyone know what the rule is on visible tattoos and teaching in public school?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
I got a wrist tattoo when I was eighteen, and am now in school to become a teacher. I tried googling, and emailed a few teachers I know asking, I haven't gotten a response yet. So I thought I'd try here.
Also, I live in Portland Oregon. It's fairly tattoo and piercing friendly here, in general.

**edit**
I plan on teaching elementary level.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
singlemom1208
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Might have to wear a bandaide or something like that over it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM

It depends on the district you are teaching in.  I will tell you that I won't hire anyone with a visible tattoo and many times when teachers, particularly young ones,  have come to interview they think that their tattoos aren't visible, but they are and it immediately gets them eliminated from the list of potential candidates.  As I said, not every area is going to be conservative so you will want to research where you are wanting to teach.  You also don't say whether you are elementary or secondary, that could be a factor too.  Good luck.  If you are currently student teaching, I would ask your student teacher coordinator.

two4one
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't get my forearm tattoo until I was tenured, which makes it impossible for them to fire me over such a thing. There is no policy on tattoos, though I am sure anyting lewd or crude is frowned upon. I haven't had anyone say anything to me yet, and I have two additional visible ones now. Actually, the only thing that has been said to me was that the parents knew I was a "cool" teacher since I had tatts. LOL.

two4one
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I teach first grade BTW.

msb64
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow! I never thought that someone wouldn't be hired simply because of a tattoo. I have a friend who works with members of the military who wish to go into teaching upon separation from service. Many of them have visible tattoos. I asked her would that disqualify them from a teaching position and she said "are you shitting me?"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM
I plan on teaching elementary, specifically 3rd grade, if I have the choice to.

Quoting two4one:

I didn't get my forearm tattoo until I was tenured, which makes it impossible for them to fire me over such a thing. There is no policy on tattoos, though I am sure anyting lewd or crude is frowned upon. I haven't had anyone say anything to me yet, and I have two additional visible ones now. Actually, the only thing that has been said to me was that the parents knew I was a "cool" teacher since I had tatts. LOL.

Babybear89
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM
They may just ask that you cover it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Elementary level was my plan.
My wrist tattoo is small and non-offensive, just a saying, but I wanted to cover with another tattoo which would be larger.
I'm not student teaching yet, I'm still in my first year of school, but have always wanted teaching to be my career and in my future, so I would be devastated if I couldn't get a job because of it. I would probably have to get it removed, but like I said Portland is fairly liberal on things like that. Hopefully I will find out from the teacher I emailed what the specifics are in this district.

Quoting mjande4:

It depends on the district you are teaching in.  I will tell you that I won't hire anyone with a visible tattoo and many times when teachers, particularly young ones,  have come to interview they think that their tattoos aren't visible, but they are and it immediately gets them eliminated from the list of potential candidates.  As I said, not every area is going to be conservative so you will want to research where you are wanting to teach.  You also don't say whether you are elementary or secondary, that could be a factor too.  Good luck.  If you are currently student teaching, I would ask your student teacher coordinator.

Ataemommy
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM

It depends on the district. PPS won't bat an eyelash, unless it has tits on it. You're fine here. I could teach at PPS with my arm sleeve tattoo if I wanted. I held down a job at a stodgy law firm with it. Teaching is much more lax.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM

It just depends on where you are teaching and if you know your clientele then it will probably be ok.  Where I live it would NOT be considered acceptable.  We are in an upper middle class conservative area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN