Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you... (Circ/Intact S/O)

Posted by   + Show Post

Did you research it before you made the decision to leave your son intact or to have him circumsized?

I really don't care if people do or don't circumsize. I just see a lot of people saying that it was never a question of what they were going to do, or that they left it up to SO/DF/DH. I would think that with something as serious as that, people would base their decision off of what they truly believe is best... not off of what the family thinks, your neighbor thinks, because most people do it, etc. etc.

I am not trying to start a circ/anti-circ war here. I'm just curious as to if you researched the topic before making your decision.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Check out my blog - Loving Life As Mommy of Two! cae2392.blogspot.com
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Replies (31-40):
Freela
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:07 PM

We were pretty much already decided, though I did do research as well.  It ended up reconfirming our original decision.

iloveconan
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM
2 moms liked this
I research all medical decisions for my children, it's the responsible thing to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnaHuney
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM
I didnt really research it. I know a lot of men who are embarrassed that they arent circumcised (i dont know why) and i know i man who went through the procedure as an adult (for "cosmetic reasons"), and had a very rough recovery. So i opted to save my son the trouble and i did get him circumcised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ishmay28
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM
I left the decision to my dh. BUT I agreed with his choice so it wwd a non issue. I did research and chose what we decided was best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Nope.
It's a religious requirement so it was/will be done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tm88rn
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Yes of course. My husband and I decided that it is smarter and better to circ, so we did, both boys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_of_Grace
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM

And that is perfectly fine. I have no issue with people who choose to circumsize. I just wish people would research things before making any major decision, that way they know it is truly best for their family, and that they will have no regrets. Sounds like you've done your research, so that is great.

Can I just say... tearing the foreskin... OUCH! That sounds incredibly painful. I don't think that's very common though. Never heard of it before.

Quoting chelsieb84:

I have done some research after seeing all the posts on this site.  No matter what you believe you are going to find something to back up your belief.  

With that said I had some first hand experience with an uncircumcised man.  My ex wasn't and he had nothing but problems.  Early in our relationship he had an accident.  His foreskin ripped.  We weren't able to have any relations for a long time.  Once it healed he had a scar that could be painful at times.  There were also instances where he wasn't able to maintain his personal hygeine (deployments to various places)  as well as he could so he ended up getting an infection.  He also said if we had a boy we would get him circumcised.  I believe he has now been circumcised.  That was something he was working on doing when we separated.  I also worked as a CNA for a while in a nursing home and for the elderly men the most degrading thing was having to clean their foreskin.  Not for me, for them.  I had an old man cry when I was doing this.  He said it was the most degrading thing he had ever experienced.  

So based on my own experiences I would circumcise my little boy if I ever had one.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM
my hospital gave me a sheet will all information..:) we went with it...it very common around my area..i just had my son this past august and over 95% of boys in the hospital so far that year had gotten it done!
MissCloth
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM
No research needed in my opinion. Boys are born with foreskin - why remove it? There is no medical reason... Leave them alone the way the we're meant to be. People do it for appearance reasons... Not logical.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chelsieb84
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM
His dr said its more common than people realize. I couldn't imagine how painful it was for him. There was blood everywhere. It didn't hurt him when it happened it was the healing process that was painful. I still feel kinda bad for him. If he didnt get circumcised I bet it still bothers him. It did when we were together. Haven't asked him though. That would be weird lol.

I agree people should research things and not just go off of what someone tells them. There are so many holier than thou types on here and they have no clue what their talking about.

Quoting Mom_of_Grace:

And that is perfectly fine. I have no issue with people who choose to circumsize. I just wish people would research things before making any major decision, that way they know it is truly best for their family, and that they will have no regrets. Sounds like you've done your research, so that is great.

Can I just say... tearing the foreskin... OUCH! That sounds incredibly painful. I don't think that's very common though. Never heard of it before.

Quoting chelsieb84:

I have done some research after seeing all the posts on this site.  No matter what you believe you are going to find something to back up your belief.  

With that said I had some first hand experience with an uncircumcised man.  My ex wasn't and he had nothing but problems.  Early in our relationship he had an accident.  His foreskin ripped.  We weren't able to have any relations for a long time.  Once it healed he had a scar that could be painful at times.  There were also instances where he wasn't able to maintain his personal hygeine (deployments to various places)  as well as he could so he ended up getting an infection.  He also said if we had a boy we would get him circumcised.  I believe he has now been circumcised.  That was something he was working on doing when we separated.  I also worked as a CNA for a while in a nursing home and for the elderly men the most degrading thing was having to clean their foreskin.  Not for me, for them.  I had an old man cry when I was doing this.  He said it was the most degrading thing he had ever experienced.  

So based on my own experiences I would circumcise my little boy if I ever had one.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured