Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did you... (Circ/Intact S/O)

Posted by   + Show Post

Did you research it before you made the decision to leave your son intact or to have him circumsized?

I really don't care if people do or don't circumsize. I just see a lot of people saying that it was never a question of what they were going to do, or that they left it up to SO/DF/DH. I would think that with something as serious as that, people would base their decision off of what they truly believe is best... not off of what the family thinks, your neighbor thinks, because most people do it, etc. etc.

I am not trying to start a circ/anti-circ war here. I'm just curious as to if you researched the topic before making your decision.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Check out my blog - Loving Life As Mommy of Two! cae2392.blogspot.com
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Replies (21-30):
Mom_of_Grace
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Supposedly it is cleaner if you circumsize, but that is highly debated. Usually the issue of cleanliness only arises if the man ends up in a nursing home, and he is not properly cleaned.

A baby's forskin does not retract on it's own. You clean it just like a circ'ed baby. Once the child is older and the skin begins to retract, the child must retract it and clean it off after he uses the restroom, then go about his day.

If it is not properly cleaned, then there can be issues such as UTIs.

There are also religious convictions behind circumsizing.

And the advark thing... it has to do with the way it looks. Personally, I think all penises (circ'ed or not) are pretty darn ugly lol. And more and more people are not circ'ing in America, so I think the issue of the way it looks will slowly fade out.

Quoting ChickenTheChina:

This is going to sound stupid, but I honestly thought you had to circumsize. I only have daughters, so I've never had to worry about it. I guess I grew up thinking it was mandatory because if not, they'd get infections and whatnot. There was a boy at my school who wasn't circumsized, and everyone called him "Ardvark". I'm not exactly sure why. As you can tell, I don't know all the facts about circumsizing. I feel bad for the little baby boys who have to go through the pain though :( What are the benefits of doing it/not doing it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 18, 2012 at 4:57 PM

This except so far just one son. The second will be born on April 25th and we will have him get one as well. No research done. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, no I didn't.

I did it because I wanted to and felt that it was right. I do not regret having my sons circ'ed at all.

BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I didn't research it before. I just went ahead and did it because it was the norm. His father wanted it done too. I never knew anyone who didn't circumcise their son. I've read the pros and cons since. I'm fine with my decision and don't regret it.

missamanda86
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Agreed 110%....my kid, my decision

Quoting TruCowboysFan:

No, I didn't research. There was never any question as to whether or not it would be done if I had a son. I wanted him to be circumcised so I had it done. Call me selfish, call me a bad mother, either way he is my son and it was my decision. I'm pretty sure hell never come home and say "I wish I had my foreskin, mom." I did what I thought was right and I don't judge other moms when it comes to their decision on this subject. Honestly, I don't care whether or not other mothers do it or don't do it. I, actually, didn't even realize it was SUCH a big deal until I joined this site.

Mom_of_Grace
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM

It's a major decision. I typically like to have facts to back up a major decision... not my families opinion, or my own uneducated reasons. I never said there was a black and white right and wrong. I think there is a right and wrong for each family individually. However, I think it would be hard to know for sure what was right or wrong without doing research. Not everything is biased, and it is usually pretty easy to tell what is and what isn't.

Quoting cLanief:

no research... Why the hell do people have to research shit just to decide what to do with their own life? So much shit is sooooo "biased" there's no right or wrong.

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM

As a circumcised man, my husband doesn't know what it means to be an intact male, so we researched the topic a lot before we made our decision.

mestiza_07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I didnt research, with both my boys i circ'd. Just something both me and my husband agreed on

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Quoting ChickenTheChina:

This is going to sound stupid, but I honestly thought you had to circumsize. I only have daughters, so I've never had to worry about it. I guess I grew up thinking it was mandatory because if not, they'd get infections and whatnot. There was a boy at my school who wasn't circumsized, and everyone called him "Ardvark". I'm not exactly sure why. As you can tell, I don't know all the facts about circumsizing. I feel bad for the little baby boys who have to go through the pain though :( What are the benefits of doing it/not doing it?

I don't think it's stupid at all.  Where I grew up it's the norm, and I honestly thought that's just what you did too.  A friend of mine was in nursing school at the time and mentioned several of the doctors she had spoken to said they would no longer perform routine circumcision.  That's what lead us to research...if it weren't for her, we probably would have just done it.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Yes, but we ultimately went with the decision to circumcise because we were afraid he would be self counscious and that people might even think we were weird if we didn't. We were also just 18 years old and very naive.

I will not have any future children mutilated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chelsieb84
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I have done some research after seeing all the posts on this site.  No matter what you believe you are going to find something to back up your belief.  

With that said I had some first hand experience with an uncircumcised man.  My ex wasn't and he had nothing but problems.  Early in our relationship he had an accident.  His foreskin ripped.  We weren't able to have any relations for a long time.  Once it healed he had a scar that could be painful at times.  There were also instances where he wasn't able to maintain his personal hygeine (deployments to various places)  as well as he could so he ended up getting an infection.  He also said if we had a boy we would get him circumcised.  I believe he has now been circumcised.  That was something he was working on doing when we separated.  I also worked as a CNA for a while in a nursing home and for the elderly men the most degrading thing was having to clean their foreskin.  Not for me, for them.  I had an old man cry when I was doing this.  He said it was the most degrading thing he had ever experienced.  

So based on my own experiences I would circumcise my little boy if I ever had one.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)