Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I do not get it, can you help me GET IT?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM
  • 25 Replies

This is a post about racial discourse.

I posted THIS, a few weeks ago here.

With all the attention to the Treyvon Martin case, I just do not get it.

Here is one of the ONLY updates I am able to find to the original story I posted, about a white kid being set afire FOR BEING WHITE.

Link: http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/45082

Excerpt:

<<As has already been reported, Allen was a victim of a vicious racial attack last week in which two older black teens doused him with gasoline and set him alight, saying “This is what you deserve. You get what you deserve, white boy.” Not surprisingly, Coon has pulled her son out of East High and, concerned about further racial violence, intends to leave the K.C. area.

While this crime is making headlines, Coon states that it was merely the horrible culmination of continual racial harassment her son had to endure at East High. Moreover, after conducting an investigation that included extensive interviews with parents and students, I’ve learned that Coon’s son is not alone. Other white students also report a pattern of racial harassment at the high school at the hands of their peers – and, shockingly, their teachers.
>>

So again, I have to ask WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE? WHY is outrage race specific?

UGH

Where is/was the "black community" when a white boy was set on fire by black boys?

What am I missing here folks???????

by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

lol, crickets. Of course.

TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I think there is more outrage anytime an adult kills a minor compared to teens assaulting other teens.  Yes, they were both racially motivated. But, we do expect more and better from adults and in one the child died and the other, he lived.  I don't see these as the same level of crime.

jenwit2
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I never heard about this.  It is shocking and I would be outraged no matter what color anyone in the story was.  Kids setting a kid on fire is horrible and makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.   He easily could have died and I am not sure why this would be less of a crime than any committed by an adult.  How can anyone not consider that this could have been their child?  Teens are certainly old enough to know better.

Radarma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I think there is more outrage anytime an adult kills a minor compared to teens assaulting other teens.  Yes, they were both racially motivated. But, we do expect more and better from adults and in one the child died and the other, he lived.  I don't see these as the same level of crime.

Hmmm, valid point. Thanks

We still do not have an ID on the perps tho, maybe they were "adults".

Radarma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Quoting jenwit2:

I never heard about this.  It is shocking and I would be outraged no matter what color anyone in the story was.  Kids setting a kid on fire is horrible and makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.   He easily could have died and I am not sure why this would be less of a crime than any committed by an adult.  How can anyone not consider that this could have been their child?  Teens are certainly old enough to know better.

The fact that you have "never heard about this" serves to make my point.

WHY NOT?

WHY oh WHY is this NOT blasted all over? Could it be because the vic was WHITE?

:(

tarakay0417
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I never heard of this. I feel so sorry for that little boy.

Radarma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I feel sorry for him too, and I also feel HUGELY sorry for the black/african american (don't wanna OHffend anyone) perps.

How/WHY were they raised with such utter hatred for the "white man"?!

People, wake the fuck up.

TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I also want to add, in the Martin case, we have 911 types. We caught a glimpse into the irrational thought process of a killer. We also heard the Martin screaming for his life and being quieted by a single bullet.  That is going to spread across the media like wildfire because they know it is going to affect people and draw emotion.  We don't have that available in the other case.  I am sure the "sounds" of the crime were just as horrifying.  But, I feel emotionally invested in Martin's situation. I started bawling listening to that.

jenwit2
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I don't know. I was surprised that I hadn't heard of it.  I am in NY but you would think this would be national news.  I do know that it our city we only hear about a small fraction of the violent crimes because the city tries to hide them from the people to make it seem safer and to be able to keep cutting police budgets.  

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting jenwit2:

The fact that you have "never heard about this" serves to make my point.

WHY NOT?

WHY oh WHY is this NOT blasted all over? Could it be because the vic was WHITE?

:(

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I had not heard about this either.  Did anything happen to the other teens that set him on fire?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN